The Uke as a percussion instrument...

Baron

Reaction score
When my son, who was only 5 at the time, started banging the strings of my uke, it gave me an idea to play the uke as if it were a percussion instrument. Check out my song, "Slap & Tickle" which is my version of his attempt to play the uke! I used a capo on the first fret as well to tighten up the strings for my slapping onslaught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPnC8FCNHjE

Baron

I once watched the new bass player for Metallica play his bass solo using a similar technique.

I think it's pretty cool to experiment like this. Nice work!

Pretty cool.

I was told not to beat your Fluke or you'll go blind. LOL

I've always thought of the uke as a rhythm instrument, so yes, strum it, slap it, tap it, knock it, beat it. Jest do yore sin-co-payded thang.

Ukantor.

Very cool sound!

I admit I was THIS close to typing "James Hill's been there, done that" (;)) but a really fresh thing going on there. Good job, who knows. Maybe you have set a trend here!

Hitchhiking on deach's comment: your ping-a-ping and puremarkska's shuffle would be a great combo. UCB?

I've been experimenting with trying the rumba style strumming with the ukulele, and I think it sounds pretty okay.

The strumming and tapping at the same time were pretty impressive. I bet you're one of those people who can walk and chew gum at the same time too:p

Haha good job on that.
Rhythmically not at that level to copy it.
But nice to know other uses of the uke.

Last edited:
When my son, who was only 5 at the time, started banging the strings of my uke, it gave me an idea to play the uke as if it were a percussion instrument. Check out my song, "Slap & Tickle" which is my version of his attempt to play the uke! I used a capo on the first fret as well to tighten up the strings for my slapping onslaught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPnC8FCNHjE

Baron

If you want to see some real slapping on one of the big Ukeleles then check out Andy McKee

I think he looks like that other Baron

Top Bottom