Rosette cutter upgrade

ernie kleinman

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my DIY router setup for cutting uke rosettes . It/s an old M. ward dremel tool with a dremel circle cutting jig and a 1/4in metal dowel.The cutter is a 1/8in shank carbide bit with abt a 3/32in cut. I noticed on my last resotte that I was out abt 10-15 thousands of an inch. I would like to narrow that down to abt .002- .005. suggestions?? I was using a 3/4in mdf backer board with a 1/4in hole . I/m guessing that there is some play in the shaft of the old M ward ,I have other dremel tools as well , and they all seem to exhibit a bit of play in the shaft. I don/t want to waste time truing up the dremel shaft .What are you folks using to make accurate tight rosette channels thanks.

could you please explain what you mean by stewmac handset ?? is it something specific for the foredom?? thanks

We personally use the drill press tool made by LuthierTool ( pictures enclosed ) the item is somewhat pricey. ( http://youtu.be/b2-9JLDnneo )You might consider making something on your own similar to this as a non-adjustable.

The Foredom and router base circle cutter works great as well, we also use several of these in our shop for inlay details, notching etc.

You could also consider using an air die grinder and making your own jig.... here is one that a friend sells. ( http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57&products_id=18 ) Both these guys are friends and make great products.

Blessings,

Kevin

close_rosette_cutting.jpgPhoto[7].jpgPhoto[6].jpg

kevin the luthier tool jig is vy slick . But if i spend the $$ wife might not talk to me lol. I do have a foredom,. assuming stew mac makes a circle cutting jig for it. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

could you please explain what you mean by stewmac handset ?? is it something specific for the foredom?? thanks

Stew-Mac has a custom handset for the foredom that accepts the Dremel threads so its jigs will fit. Check it out here.

Thanks I get it now.I/d have to get their custom handset to match the router base.

Sven, you should see the machine he uses to grind the blades for the cutters. It's a Soviet era thing that's build like a tank. The grinding wheels can be moved in increments of 1/1000 of a mm. No typo.

I think Micheal should make a manual binding rabbet cutter, or gramil. Plant the idea, I'll buy one as soon as it exists.

Like mzch I use stw-Mac Soundhole/Rosette Routing Jig, it works well,
but for some uke's soundhole it don't work because the hole is too small for the guide

In fact, I had to remedy so: :)

dige.jpg

I/ve got a general but I would be afraid to use it on a uke.Stew- mac has a new circle cutter that will cut down to 2in for ukes just ordered one

Top Bottom