First Bari - Lanikai S-B

Mercury

Reaction score
Just picked up one of these strumming cannons yesterday;

s-bfball.jpg

As a guitar player primarily I've wanted to venture into bari territory for some time now, but didn't want to break the bank on the first purchase. So with a budget of ~$200 I set to investigate the bari's in this price range and discovered a few things along the way.

I completely dig the crisp bright tones generated by solid spruce tops, which eliminated all the mahogany/cedar top types in the hunt. The battle in this price range in the end was between the Lanikai S-B and the Kala S-B (satin finish). Both similar looking instruments and excellent for the money. However, I love the look and feel of glossy instruments, which eliminated the satin-finished Kala too.

Anyway, haven't put this baby down yet. Looks like my Fenders are going to go unloved for a while...;)

Last edited:
Congrats. I still need to add a bari to the stable. My wife asked why? I said "because I don't have one." Nuff said

Congrats. I still need to add a bari to the stable. My wife asked why? I said "because I don't have one." Nuff said
Do it, they're so versatile! I eventually plan to tune mine Greek bouzouki style; DGAD - how exotic is that?

I said the same thing to my wife and told her to look at this post to prove I am not the only one who says this. Thanks for the backup!

Top Bottom