Uke Minutes 34 - Buying an Ukulele

Hey people! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is up and running!

Uke Minutes 34 - Buying an Ukulele

Primarily for those of you who are looking into buying an ukulele for the first time, but overall, good things to note no matter what number ukulele you're on (or what stage of UAS you are currently in :D).

Questions, ideas, opinions, thoughts? Share your triumphs or horror stories here. Your experience could positively influence the next UUer's ukulele purchase, so go ahead and post away!

Great episode!

I bought a Kamoa soprano from Sam at Larry's Music in Koloa this summer. They really are a great value. Even the untrained ear can tell the difference between a souvenir uke and a real instrument.
A lot of tourists in Hawai'i make the mistake of buying a decorative uke from ABC or a souvenir shop, only to find out that it doesn't sound good or play well. Sound really is the most important part, and good intonation can make or break a cheap uke. I'd take an ugly uke with a good sound over a colorful shiny one any day, and I hope most beginning players take this episode to heart when buying their first instrument.

Only thing I didn't totally agree with was the part about tuners. Geared tuners are a plus for beginning players, but not totally necessary (if you have a screwdriver handy!).

Great episode. I'm visiting Kauai this May and can't wait to check out Larry's Music. I was drooling at all the beautiful ukuleles on the wall. I did a quick google for his store and came up with a Larry's Music in Koloa on Koloa Rd. and a Larry's Music Center in Kapaa on Kuhio Highway.

I'm happy to trek out to both, but rather than bore my Mom to death by dragging her to not one, but TWO uke stores (after I'm already dragging her to Kaneohe and the Kanilea factory on Oahu), can I ask: which one was this filmed at? Larry's Music in Koloa or Larry's Music Center in Kapaa?

Great episode. I'm visiting Kauai this May and can't wait to check out Larry's Music. I was drooling at all the beautiful ukuleles on the wall. I did a quick google for his store and came up with a Larry's Music in Koloa on Koloa Rd. and a Larry's Music Center in Kapaa on Kuhio Highway.

I'm happy to trek out to both, but rather than bore my Mom to death by dragging her to not one, but TWO uke stores (after I'm already dragging her to Kaneohe and the Kanilea factory on Oahu), can I ask: which one was this filmed at? Larry's Music in Koloa or Larry's Music Center in Kapaa?

where are you staying in Kauai?

where are you staying in Kauai?

My mom has a timeshare in Kauai. So we always stay at the Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Suites Poipu) when we go - my favorite week of the year. We rent a car and usually always drive at least to Kapaa (once in a while venturing out to Waimea or Princeville).

I own a travel agency so I do a lot of traveling, but as much as I enjoy going to visit Europe or Asia, or other cities in the US, Kauai is still my favorite place on Earth.

Mmm, I can almost taste a frozen mai tai at Keoki's right now! How much longer is it until May???

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just excited about visiting Larry's while I'm there.

My mom has a timeshare in Kauai. So we always stay at the Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Suites Poipu) when we go - my favorite week of the year. We rent a car and usually always drive at least to Kapaa (once in a while venturing out to Waimea or Princeville).

I own a travel agency so I do a lot of traveling, but as much as I enjoy going to visit Europe or Asia, or other cities in the US, Kauai is still my favorite place on Earth.

Mmm, I can almost taste a frozen mai tai at Keoki's right now! How much longer is it until May???

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just excited about visiting Larry's while I'm there.

we filmed this episode at the Kapaa store. Kauai music and sounds is also located in Kapaa.

I used to work at the pool at Embassy Suites. Worked there for a good two years. :D

Great episode!

I bought a Kamoa soprano from Sam at Larry's Music in Koloa this summer. They really are a great value. Even the untrained ear can tell the difference between a souvenir uke and a real instrument.
A lot of tourists in Hawai'i make the mistake of buying a decorative uke from ABC or a souvenir shop, only to find out that it doesn't sound good or play well. Sound really is the most important part, and good intonation can make or break a cheap uke. I'd take an ugly uke with a good sound over a colorful shiny one any day, and I hope most beginning players take this episode to heart when buying their first instrument.

Only thing I didn't totally agree with was the part about tuners. Geared tuners are a plus for beginning players, but not totally necessary (if you have a screwdriver handy!).

for beginners, in my opinion, will have an easier time with geared tuners. Friction tuners are fine but a little bit more difficult to tune.

I can dig that. Still, good friction tuners are nothing to be afraid of. ;)

Is Kaua'i Music and Sound in the old Bounty Music building? I know Bounty closed and was turning into something else. XD

Great episode! I wanna go shopping with Aldrine!

i rly want a Kamoa Ukulele
but i live in Norway and i cant find any store thats sells them.

does anyone know how much it would cost if i got it sendt from hawaii or att the east cost of US?

i rly want a Kamoa Ukulele
but i live in Norway and i cant find any store thats sells them.

does anyone know how much it would cost if i got it sendt from hawaii or att the east cost of US?

Hey Arney! Shipping to the mainland US usually goes $35 for sopranos, $45 for concerts, $55 for tenors. The international shipping prices usually don't cost much more than these, but also depend on where you're from and what duties apply.

If you are ordering from our Store, we will bring the ukulele down to the post office, ship it out and bill you the actual cost. That way you pay exactly how much it costs, no more, no less. Let us know if you need anything else!

Hey Arney! Shipping to the mainland US usually goes $35 for sopranos, $45 for concerts, $55 for tenors. The international shipping prices usually don't cost much more than these, but also depend on where you're from and what duties apply.

If you are ordering from our Store, we will bring the ukulele down to the post office, ship it out and bill you the actual cost. That way you pay exactly how much it costs, no more, no less. Let us know if you need anything else!

ooh ok =)
but lets say that i would buy the Kamoa Mahogany Tenor since its on sale =)
how much would it cost to ship it?

ooh ok =)
but lets say that i would buy the Kamoa Mahogany Tenor since its on sale =)
how much would it cost to ship it?

Shipping should come out to around $55 for a tenor, but we can't be sure until we ship it.
So for International customers, order and pay for the ukulele in our Store, we'll ship it out to you then bill you the actual cost for shipping afterward.

If you have any other questions, night or day, you can let me know at: uumerch(at)gmail.com

Haha, OK, back on track ... anyone got questions about the episode? Anecdotes about buying your first ukulele? Post them below!

Top Bottom