NUD: KoAloha special order tenor

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I got my new KoAloha uke yesterday. So far I only have iPhone pics since I won't be home until August 30th and this is my only camera. I originally ordered a curly koa tenor with a pickup and Pops told me that he remembered how much I liked the retired crown bridge style.

He said he found two old ones that were never used and he was giving one to me, and one to a woman in Nebraska for her tenor. I was overwhelmed at the gesture and thrilled.

When the uke arrived last month, the wood was beautiful but it had no pickup and no crown bridge. I was disappointed but figured I had no right to be since the bridge does not exist any more. But I did contact them about the pickup since I had paid for that. So I asked if I could bring it in to get the pickup installed when I was in Hawaii.

Pops called me back and said that he was going to build a brand new ukulele and that I should just bring the other back and exchange them. I felt bad since all he had to do was the pickup but he said he made a promise and was going to keep it.

So yesterday I went to the factory and got my new baby. So far it is incredibly loud (like all KoAlohas) but also sings like a dream. I was more than a bit embarrassed as he insisted I play it for them (plugged and unplugged) but it sounded a lot better in my hotel room when I did not have to play for a showroom full of people.

The koa is curly on the front, sides and back. Pops said the crown bridge is made of macasser ebony, and the fretboard is gaboon ebony. The pickup is an LR Baggs 5.0.

One nice touch was his pastor was there and he blessed the ukulele for me. I am not a very religious person but I thought it was very thoughtful of him.

I promised Pops that while I was sorry it would never be played to its potential, it would bring me joy in happy times and comfort me when I was down.

I also got to build a KoAloha keychain while I was there - yay! It is hanging from the tuner in the first photo. I hated giving up the other uke back to them as it was beautiful but I greatly appreciate all Pops did to get me this wonderful instrument.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...You got a Crown Bridge!! People would gladly pay extra for that! I'm so glad you got one of those key chains too. May this uke bring you as much happiness as all your other Koalohas! The Okamis are very nice.

Wow, that is super cool! And you sure know Pops well now from your trips to KoAloha. That is particularly lovely woodstock. Curly as a poodle.

Looking forward to more photos. Crown bridge--like old Taimane Koaloha.

Beautiful. I am jelly.

Congrats!!! It's beautiful.

What a fantastic uke, and lots of love put in it. Thanks for the story. Great stuff!

bee you tee full! Enjoy.

Awesome Staci! Wow. The KoAloha sound, the Okami Aloha spirit, amazing curly koa, and the crown bridge to boot! Can't beat the crown bridge IMO! Congratulations.

And the Dodgers and Sox this weekend? You must be in heaven. Life is good!

Awesome uke . . . awesome-er story. Congrats!

Aloha Staci,
Welcome back to Hawaii and Congrats on your new KoAloha...it looks amazing...Love the crown bridge and squggliness of the koa curl...that is very nice....wow you got a
nice LR Baggs pickup too...holy moly girl....Happy Strummings....have a nice time here..... wooo hooo a great vacation and a new uke....who can ask for more...and wow POPs
is the man, but we knew that already and it is a nice gesture and story.....:)

Beau.T.FULLLLLLL!!! Wow, just wow. And that is a wonderful story as well.

That's one of the prettiest KoAlohas I've ever seen! And the sound must be killer, too. Congrats!

Top Bottom