PDA

View Full Version : Sponge-bob Square Pants flying V Uke

Becky_from_Cornwall
01-10-2009, 04:25 AM
....yes it exists!
I'm thinking of replacing my £10 toy ukulele with this stunning instrument (sorry, i don't have a picture. As i have only been playing for a few months casually im not so botherd about getting an expensive one. i.e more that £50.

Am i sacrificing quality or style or am I going to look super cool?

I think I know the answer to this question... i think i'll buy it any way to put on my wall.
Loving UU
Becky

wickedwahine11
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Without seeing it, it is hard for me to say whether you should get it. But it sounds cool, so if you can afford it, I say go for it. If you get a photo of it (or end up buying it and take a picture) post it here - I'd love to see what it looks like!

upskydowncloud
01-10-2009, 06:17 AM
....yes it exists!
I'm thinking of replacing my £10 toy ukulele with this stunning instrument (sorry, i don't have a picture. As i have only been playing for a few months casually im not so botherd about getting an expensive one. i.e more that £50.

Am i sacrificing quality or style or am I going to look super cool?

I think I know the answer to this question... i think i'll buy it any way to put on my wall.
Loving UU
Becky

I'm assuming this is the one you mean? I can't see there being two flying v shaped spongebob ukes around! http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0443907/details.html

From the looks of it this seems similar to other toy ukuleles but one that is a bit more expensive because of the branding and excellent spongebob designs. I've never heard this type of uke play but I imagine it won't sound great and isn't likely to stay in tune. I don't think Nickelodian are renowned for their uke building!

My advice would be to save up a bit more and get something like a Lanikai which you know will play and stay in tune. However, if you want a crazy instrument and aren't bothered about the sound then go for it I say.

P.S you can get a decent starter uke for £50!

redsedge
01-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Makala ukuleles cost under 25, have good intonation and geared tuners (making them easier to tune). Some people don't like the dolphin shaped bridge but for me, it adds to the attraction. Fit Aquila strings to improve the sound massively. (Another 5)

iamsam
01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I got my Vineyard concert (Same as an Ohana or a Bushman, apparently!) for £50 shipped from ebay. It really is worth looking around on there for one.

Becky_from_Cornwall
01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the sensible replies guys! I have reconsidered and decided to get a proper one, soon-ish.

Wavy Davy
01-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Hello Becky - I, too, am from Cornwall and live here in the US now.

We went over in September - glorious weather and made it as far as Saltash, Cawsand and Kingsand

Our family "ancestral" home is in Morval just outside Looe

David