Tenor version of Ono "School Uke"

saltytri

Reaction score
A while back, I posted a 16" scale instrument of unconventional design:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?80434-Ono-quot-School-Uke-quot

These were successful from a sound standpoint and it seemed that the design might be as good or better with a 17" tenor scale. So, I improved the body shape a bit and and this is the result.

9566675056_87e7ea9eab_b.jpg

9563877715_cb59b49682_b.jpg

9566672192_af89285a46_b.jpg

9563874897_1dd7981b12_b.jpg

The body is perfectly quartersawn cherry. The neck is Honduras mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. The rosette is ebony and Red Mallee burl. Bone saddle and nut, of course. The finish is many coats of Tru-Oil, so it is quite shiny but not pore-filled. Cherry does have pretty small pores, though.

The volume of the body takes good advantage of a wound low G and the tone is very rich and mellow.

$600 plus shipping and insurance.

Last edited:
This uke is stunning! I would love to hear a sound sample :drool::cool:

Last edited:
Where's my canoe? :p

Another ripper David!!!! Looks fantastic mate. :drool:

Stunning uke for a stunning price!

Nice! Would also love to hear this one!

Simply lovely and elegant. Congratulations on the build. Worth twice the price you're asking.

Aloha David,
It' a Stunning uke, Yes it looks amazing....does the wider heel improve the vibrations to the body?

Looking great uke David. Cherry is wonderful tonewood.

Is this the first Ono tenor?

I understand why it is perfectly logical to ask for a sound sample. I also understand why David might not want to offer up a sample because his playing ability might not match his building ability. David is finishing off his Alaska Yellow Cedar concert for me. I don't know exactly what it is going to sound like, so I asked him about his return policy. His first response was that he's never had to think about a return policy because no one has ever returned one of his ukes! So I'm thinkin' that says something right there. But then he quickly added that if I did decide to return the uke within the first week after receipt that it would be fine with him as long as I paid return shipping. (And not mar the the uke with strum marks or scratches because it then becomes a used uke). I think this is pretty reasonable and comparable to most other custom uke builders.

I really do recommend you go back through his build threads. Review the pictures of his ukes and the comments and you will see that he has an incredible attention to detail in every aspect of the build. And there are other threads from members who have received and reviewed his ukes (with sound samples).

And when I receive my concert from David, I don't think it would be wise for me to upload a sample because it might do irreparable harm to his business.:eek:

I've posted a couple of sound clips, which is a technological triumph for me. :rolleyes:

Obviously, I need to spend less time building and more time practicing.

Last edited:
Aloha David,
It' a Stunning uke, Yes it looks amazing....does the wider heel improve the vibrations to the body?

Aloha, Stan!

That's a good thought and I'll be happy to go with it. In truth, who knows? But I have to admit that it was really an aesthetic choice to match the heel to the rectangular end of the body.

Looking great uke David. Cherry is wonderful tonewood.

Is this the first Ono tenor?

No, not the first tenor but the first tenor in this shape.

Maybe Jon will pick it up so that he can make his canoe go faster. :D

I do have four conventional tenors underway. Two of them are spoken for but a Bastogne walnut/Adirondack spruce and a Bolivian rosewood/redwood are available.

Last edited:
I recognize that Cherry! And I can also chime in that David is a joy to work with and his finished product is outstanding. He's also been extremely helpful with some follow-up questions I have had. A Rosewood/redwood tenor, did you say? Must ... resist... :)

It souds great, thanks for the effort of putting up the sample!

Top Bottom