Is this a BRÜKO ukulele?

Doug W

Reaction score
My wife and I bought this from a garage sale the other day. The seller was a friend who hung on to it for us. Her mother gave it to her when they were in Germany in the 60s. The bridge looks similar to some I have seen even on new BRÜKOs from their website. I have not found a similar head-stock in pictures of vintage BRÜKOs. This one appears to be a student type model. The intonation is very good, the tone is OK. We gave it to another friend today because we really don't need another uke in the house but we do need more uke players in the neighborhood.

uke - whole2.jpgheadstock2.jpgside2.jpgthe tuners2.jpg

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Certainly bears a resemblance to modern Brükos, even my new bari. I take it there is no "brand" inside the sound hole? How far back did that trademark go?

Bruko has been around for quite a long time as a company, and began building ukuleles in the 1930's!

I have seen a Bruko with that shape bridge before. You could write to the company and ask.....
http://brueko.de/en/index.html

Great friend to save a vintage ukulele for you.

Certainly bears a resemblance to modern Brükos, even my new bari. I take it there is no "brand" inside the sound hole? How far back did that trademark go?
Jim,

There is some marking visible through the sound hole but it is not legible, not even with a flashlight and magnifying glass and my daughter's eyes.

Bruko has been around for quite a long time as a company, and began building ukuleles in the 1930's!

I have seen a Bruko with that shape bridge before. You could write to the company and ask.....
http://brueko.de/en/index.html

Great friend to save a vintage ukulele for you.

Thanks, I will try the link. Yes it was nice of our friend to save the uke for us.

Thanks,
Doug

It could very well be a Brüko. Brüko made ukuleles for a couple of music stores in the past. The were rebranded and had a different headstock, so it could be possible. It has a few features that I think are distinctive Brüko: maple neck with frets directly laid in the neck, the shape of the heel, the way the white ring is placed inside the sound hole instead of just around it. If I were you I would sent the pics to herr Pfeiffer and simply ask him.

Top Bottom