New ukulele player wanting to start a school club

Jediwnab

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I thought that this board would probably be the best place to ask this question. I am a high school science teacher and I really want to start an after school ukulele club. Here's the hitch, though. I am an absolute beginner on the ukulele. My question is should I start the club and just try to have fun learning together with the students, or should I wait until next year after I have had some experience playing? I'm hoping that there are other teachers out there who may have had this experience and could enlighten me.

One additional piece of information, in my school there are a number of seasoned ukulele players. They would certainly fill in the gap that I am unable to fill.

Thanks for any advice you may have for me!!

Many ages ago we started a soccer club in the community college I was attending. We had to have a coach/advisor and the physics professor agreed to do it even though he said he knew nothing about soccer. He was not able to advise us on technique or rules but we did respect him as our leader and coach and we got to play soccer.

Start the club this year. Invite banjo, guitar and harmonica players.

I think you should go ahead and start it this year. There are so many resources to help you out on learning how to play, including this site's main page, and your more experienced players could help you out. Good luck and well wishes on the club!

Since you're also a teacher, you could try and ask the music teachers at your school if they'd want to join in (Assuming your school has music as part of the highschool program). Eventhough my highschool music teachers didn't play the ukulele specifically, their experience with guitar/bass has really helped me in learning to play ukulele aswell.

I say start now and get help from the band director/choir director/orchestra director at your school. Who are the seasoned ukulele players at your school - students or other teachers? That will be a great resource. You will be surprised at how quickly you learn and progress on the ukulele. Excited for you! I'm an ex band director (public school teacher from Alabama) and I wish I had discovered my love for ukulele back when I was teaching. It would be wonderful in a school environment.

Thanks for all of the info everybody, you have emboldened me. I will start the program this year and I'll let you know how it goes. This is a great forum and I'm glad I found it. I will make sure to put more info on my profile, that's a good idea. I'm sort of new to the discussion forum world as well!:D

Hey I'm in your same shoes: new to the uke (and music in general) but brimming with passion for it, a high school teacher, and starting an ukulele club here at school. We've had only two meetings so far, but the kids are stoked and so am I. It's so fun to have a chance to switch up the teacher/student roles for a little while. They are so knowledgeable and great teachers too!

If you haven't already found and read this thread go here and check it out. The kind and generous folk at UU can help you out!

You should better get some medeince and strong you self. I found this website which can help to cure acene. So for get best acne treatment you should go there.

Top Bottom