My UAS just keeps getting worse. What can I do?

UkeyDave

Reaction score
This month I decided to buy a new Uke and wanted to get a more traditional Soprano sized one. So I plumped for a Gretsch G9100.
Lovely - it's great. I absolutely love it.

HOWEVER..................

Less than two weeks later I find myself ordering a Martin S-1 Soprano which should arrive tomorrow. What the hell is wrong with me?
Will this addictive disease EVER improve?
Am I beyond help?

Well Dave, you only have 4 ukes in the sig. Clearly you need to buy a few more. After the Martin try a Black Bear, then a Pohaku, then a Covered Bridge, then an Ono. After that I'd probably order a Mya Moe and then a Collings, after which time I'd like to see you buy a Big Rusty resonator.

If this fails take two aspirin and call me in the morning

your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

I think Dr Eugene is a bit bent himself!
Hey, don't fret too much (ha - ha!) - if you buy a few ukes, and can still feed yourself and your family - where's the harm? It's a great hobby (there are many worse ones). Just make sure you PLAY a lot too; no use just buying pretty wooden dust collectors....

Aloha Dave,
ha ha you are still at the early stages yet, it will get worse and worse and upgrading is costly...buy the most expensive your budget will afford and you will skip several inbetween ukes, in the
long run you save more money and your house less cluttered with lower end ukes that are hard to sell...BUT it is more fun spending more money and getting all your heart desires...:) Let me say 1 a month is quite normal for the extreme cases...

Trust me, it is just beginning. It's okay until you start buying more than one of the exact same model.

On a somewhat serious note, this forum doesn't help much with the uas. All the amazing ukes that come up for sale, or the awesome ukes that others buy and then post pictures. It's really hard not to want to jump in and get "just one more".

I was getting close to buying another one, a very high end one at that. Somehow, I have been able to rein it in and resist for now. That and the credit card would have exploded.

You need the UAS 12 step program. Step 1, we admitted we were powerless over ukuleles, Step 2, buy 11 ukuleles and return to step 1.

cure: play what you got and don't read these forums :cool:

I know I'm likely in the minority....or maybe the silent majority (who knows)....but I have just a single ukulele - I play it every day and I'm perfectly happy with no desires to add another!

On a somewhat serious note, this forum doesn't help much with the uas. All the amazing ukes that come up for sale, or the awesome ukes that others buy and then post pictures. It's really hard not to want to jump in and get "just one more".

I was getting close to buying another one, a very high end one at that. Somehow, I have been able to rein it in and resist for now. That and the credit card would have exploded.

What? I found the forum exteremely helpfull with my UAS!

...Oh... I get it.

:p

Get rid of what you don't need. Sell, give it to someone, give it as a prize for a Seasons of the Ukulele contest.

You got the Martin? Let the Gretsch go.
Got the Ohana CK35? Goodbye, Oscar Schmidt OU5.

Ukes are meant to be played. Now that you have a Martin you won't give attention to a laminate mahogany soprano. Same thing with the CK35. Do you still play the Oscar Schmidt?

I'm much happier with a few good ukes then I was when I had 15 budget ukes.

Get rid of what you don't need. Sell, give it to someone, give it as a prize for a Seasons of the Ukulele contest.

Ukes are meant to be played. Now that you have a Martin you won't give attention to a laminate mahogany soprano. Same thing with the CK35. Do you still play the Oscar Schmidt?

yes . . . pay attention to what you're playing, and sell what you're not playing . . . although I suggest hanging onto one laminate (unless your ukes never leave your climate-controlled home)

Is there a variant of this condition called UFS (Ukulele Fabrication Syndrome)? I started making banjolele's, a CBU & then graduated to soprano's. The intention (and excuse to wife) is that I will sell the next one, but never feel the quality is quite good enough. Now the living room and my office are beginning to back up a bit with uke's. And there are two more on the go in the workshop and some more mahogany just arrived .........

"My UAS just keeps getting worse. What can I do?"

Take up the xylophone.

"My UAS just keeps getting worse. What can I do?"

Take up the xylophone.

That's no help because you'll want a full size for the home, a 3 octave one in a case for travel...then you'll want a marimba for those times you want to hear warmer tones...and then a vibraphone for the jazz artist in you...and well, why not a classic glockenspiel. Then when that's all done there's the whole issue of mallets (hard, medium, soft, wool, wood, yarn, plastic, rubber, carbon fiber.......). My wife just recently re-ignited my CAS (cymbal aquisition syndrome). The thing about cymbals is you can just keep adding them to your set up so you never know when to stop...and they cost as much as decent ukes ($200-$500 each approx).

Is there a variant of this condition called UFS (Ukulele Fabrication Syndrome)? I started making banjolele's, a CBU & then graduated to soprano's. The intention (and excuse to wife) is that I will sell the next one, but never feel the quality is quite good enough. Now the living room and my office are beginning to back up a bit with uke's. And there are two more on the go in the workshop and some more mahogany just arrived .........
Yes I can confirm this IS a variant. Wow you make Ukes? That is very impressive.

yes . . . pay attention to what you're playing, and sell what you're not playing . . . although I suggest hanging onto one laminate (unless your ukes never leave your climate-controlled home)
I live in England. I'm not sure my Ukes are affected by climate.

Ah but the journey towards those few good ukes is part of the fun isn't it?

I'm Steedy, and I'm a uke-aholic. :(
Well done Steedy. You've taken the first step in your rehabilitation. ;-)

I know I'm likely in the minority....or maybe the silent majority (who knows)....but I have just a single ukulele - I play it every day and I'm perfectly happy with no desires to add another!
I admire your restraint. At the end of the day it certainly is the playing thats important. One thing I love about having a few Ukes is that you can experiment with different tunings too and they all have their own unique sounds. There is though a limit to how many you can play so you make a good point.

cure: play what you got and don't read these forums :cool:
Well if it's good enough for YOU to read then................. ;-)

You need the UAS 12 step program. Step 1, we admitted we were powerless over ukuleles, Step 2, buy 11 ukuleles and return to step 1.
Hahaha. This did make me smile Phil.

Yes the forum is very tempting I know what you mean AND my credit card is taking a hammering too. I may have to stay in for the next 12 years and play my Ukes. ;-)

Trust me, it is just beginning. It's okay until you start buying more than one of the exact same model.
Oh crikey. I'm definitely NOT going to do that (I think) ;-)

Aloha Dave,
ha ha you are still at the early stages yet, it will get worse and worse and upgrading is costly...buy the most expensive your budget will afford and you will skip several inbetween ukes, in the
long run you save more money and your house less cluttered with lower end ukes that are hard to sell...BUT it is more fun spending more money and getting all your heart desires...:) Let me say 1 a month is quite normal for the extreme cases...
Thanks Stan, I think you make some valid points there.

I think Dr Eugene is a bit bent himself!
Hey, don't fret too much (ha - ha!) - if you buy a few ukes, and can still feed yourself and your family - where's the harm? It's a great hobby (there are many worse ones). Just make sure you PLAY a lot too; no use just buying pretty wooden dust collectors....
Well I may have to go without food for just a couple of days but hey it's worth it. Oh yes indeed, I intend to play AS MUCH as my free time allows. ;-)

Well Dave, you only have 4 ukes in the sig. Clearly you need to buy a few more. After the Martin try a Black Bear, then a Pohaku, then a Covered Bridge, then an Ono. After that I'd probably order a Mya Moe and then a Collings, after which time I'd like to see you buy a Big Rusty resonator.

If this fails take two aspirin and call me in the morning

your (friendly) doctor,

eugene
Sounds like excellent advice to me Doctor Eugene.

Top Bottom