String changing

cigarfan

Reaction score
OK all you ukulele experts out there ... How do you tell when it's time to change strings? I've had the same set of Worth strings on my uke since March (5 months). They stay in tune well and sound like the first day on the instrument.

Is there an certain indicator you look for?

I'm getting kind of antsy. I have 3 other kinds of strings to try but I don't want to waste good strings. They cost too much for that.

Slightly loosen your strings and feel the underside of the strings. If there are dents in them (which are caused by fret wear) then most likely, they'll snap in a matter of days, weeks or even months if you're lucky :O You can either change them once you feel that the dents are bad enough or just play until they snap.

If the intonation goes off a bit from when it initially started, it's time for a string change.

There's also the sound but since you say that it sounds fine, I'm sure those strings will still be good to use.

Last edited:
Thanks Bao. Makes sense on the under string dents due to the softer material. I'll check it out.

I'm a guitar player of 40 years and recognize when intonation is hosed or strings won't stay in tune anymore. I'm just amazed at how long these Worth strings have lasted.

No problem! Yeah, I hear a lot of good things about worth strings' quality. On a side note, is it true that the length that comes in the package is enough to restring 2 ukuleles? :O

The specs at Elderly.com (and elsewhere) say that tenor strings are 63" long, enough for 2 sets.

Well, I can confirm it is true. 2 sets worth in each package of Worths.

Love the Worth strings on my tenor and want to put a set on my concert, which currently has Aquila strings.

My uke instructor advised me to change my strings on my daily players every 3 months or so, and I've been sticking to that schedule pretty firmly. Even if the strings don't appear to be worn out in any way, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much louder and clearer the new strings are.

My uke instructor advised me to change my strings on my daily players every 3 months or so, and I've been sticking to that schedule pretty firmly. Even if the strings don't appear to be worn out in any way, I am always pleasantly surprised by how much louder and clearer the new strings are.

Huh, good to know! That would mean it is time for me to order new strings.

Yes if your strings starts to sound flat and the intonation is off...some say the nicks too, but I get those almost instantly... I'm a cheapie on changing strings too, well maybe I got too many ukes...LOL Good Luck Dennis...
Yes when strings deteriorate, it is usaually not noticable because the process is so slight, when you notice is when the decay is far gone for most times, most beginners will not even notice.
it's when you play something you are familiar with and it certainly does not sound right.....

Last edited:
I'm a guitar player of 40 years and recognize when intonation is hosed or strings won't stay in tune anymore. I'm just amazed at how long these Worth strings have lasted.
Fluorocarbons (like Worths) do seem to last a long time. On my classical guitars, I usually go thru 2-3 sets of wound basses for every set of fluoro trebles.

Stan's right, the degradation is so gradual you'll never notice it from day to day. But when the strings are replaced, the difference in sound can be quite dramatic.

cigarfan, if you want to try other strings, just take the ones on your uke off carefully and you can always re-use them down the line. If you don't have individual string envelopes for them, it can help to use small post-its wrapped around the G and A strings to label them. Not a problem with low G, but in a re-entrant set, the G and A are so close in diameter that it can be hard to tell them apart.

Top Bottom