Three Brave Souls

Jon Moody

Reaction score
I have a problem, folks. Our new ukulele strings are set, moving into production, packaging being designed, etc..

I have three of the prototype sets that need homes on ukuleles. I have one set of each, listed below:

1- Hawaiian D-Tuning set (meant to be tuned a step above normal) - To Captain Simian
1- Soprano/Concert (same gauge/length as our reg tenor set, but with all fluoro strings) - To davidrboy
1- Tenor "Fingerstyle" (higher tension than our reg Tenor set, w/wound C) - To Patrick Madsen

I need three brave souls that would be willing to try out a set of these, in exchange for some feedback, comments, etc.. Builders, Professionals, Hobbyists, Casual Strummers; anyone that would be willing to provide feedback and help get the word out. We're "hoping" to have these packaged and ready by the MuFest in October.

Sadly, due to shipping costs, I need to keep this within the CONUS US.

These are first come, first serve.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about the new lineup, please let me know.

Last edited:
I have a problem, folks. Our new ukulele strings are set, moving into production, packaging being designed, etc..

I have three of the prototype sets that need homes on ukuleles. I have one set of each, listed below:

1- Hawaiian D-Tuning set (meant to be tuned a step above normal)
1- Soprano/Concert (same gauge/length as our reg tenor set, but with all fluoro strings)
1- Tenor "Fingerstyle" (higher tension than our reg Tenor set, w/wound C)

I need three brave souls that would be willing to try out a set of these, in exchange for some feedback, comments, etc.. Builders, Professionals, Hobbyists, Casual Strummers; anyone that would be willing to provide feedback and help get the word out. We're "hoping" to have these packaged and ready by the MuFest in October.

Sadly, due to shipping costs, I need to keep this within the CONUS US.

These are first come, first serve.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about the new lineup, please let me know.
Just put the strings in a regular envelope... for domestic 46 cents and international 1.10...just dont use the outside packaging and only individual packaging....cheapest way around that for the mail

Last edited:
Just put the strings in a regular envelope... for domestic 46 cents and international 1.10...just dont use the outside packaging and only individual packaging....cheapest was around that for the mail

Thanks, but we're keeping it at CONUS.

OK, tell me what the theory behind wanting higher tension strings on a tenor for fingerpicking is?

I'm a good picker and personally find that tenor's have too much string tension already. I don't think that tenors are really happy at gCEA. I detune my tenors which reduces the tension and brings the instrument alive. That's my view anyway but I'm curious as to why you would want to increase the tension on a tenor.

Anthony

Higher tension will allow a better contact with the bridge and allow a little better transfer of the sound to the body. It's still a pretty slippery slope between better clarity and muted sound. What we've found in the office is that the higher tension allows notes to ring clearer with finger picking, whereas our "standard" tension works well, but doesn't ring out as true. It also all depends on the uke. The Kala tenor I initially ran both sets on really favored the lower tension set, whereas the Lanakai tenor I have really likes the higher tension strings.

Personal Preference....Higher tension gives you a cleaner tone but shorter tone due to the tension and you lose playability and comfort....depends on your playing style and preferences
Lower tension improves playability and comfort but sacafrices a bit on the tone....but, with less tension the string resonates better and has a longer substain also slows the tempo too..

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess I just prefer the low tension for the longer sustain. There is also an airy quality I like when I detune the instrument. Sounds more expressive to me.

Anthony

Two sets are spoken for; only the Hawaiian D-Tuning remains.

I would love someone with a soprano to try these out. I have some sopranos in the office strung with them, and find the higher tuning really brings out the sweetness and tonal quality of the ukes.

Thanks, folks! All three sets have been spoken for. I look forward to what you all think when they get to you all.

Aloha Jon,
then must be a softer compound strings then eh......

Oops, I forgot to mention that. Our new sets are fluorocarbon, with and without a wound (aluminum) C string.

I got the Hawaiian D set this morning. I didn't think I was going to have a chance until late this evening to re-string a uke and try them, but chores be dammed this is for science!!! Re-strung my new Pono MS with them in place of the D'Addario Titainums that came with it. Strings are still stretching, rather quickly. After 20 minutes of playing and re-tuning they seem to be settling in. Once they stay in tune a bit more I'll start playing and posting.

Glad to hear they arrived! And yes, I've been pleasantly surprised with how quickly they settle in, compared to other strings I've used.

Well I would be more than happy to give them a go! I've got good ukes in all sizes and can hold my own as a player.
Hawaiian D for me?

PM sent -- I'll try some out if you're still looking for reviews.

Cheers.

Capt - Thanks for the very thorough review! I've passed it along to our sales reps (specifically the one that deals with many of our uke players & builders). I'm pretty excited about these strings, and glad that it's not just me. :)

lakesideglenn & connor013 - At this point, we don't have any other sets. The ones I had to give out were the leftovers from our prototype sets, which were all based on the stock we had. Once we get the materials in and start production, let me see if I can do something special for our friends at UU.

Ahhhh these sound like the Flurocarbons produced in Japan if I am not mistaken...they are only a couple major manufactures there...

Probably. Much like strings in general, there are a very small amount of manufacturers in relation to the amount of brands out there.

Just received the tenor strings yesterday. Will put them on one of my Griffins and let you know how it goes. Looking forward to them, thaks OBM.

Just received the tenor strings yesterday. Will put them on one of my Griffins and let you know how it goes. Looking forward to them, thaks OBM.

Cool, glad they got there. The "fingerstyle" set is pretty interesting; on my Kala they were very tight feeling, but on the Lanakai they feel much looser. Doesn't happen with the regular Tenor set we have.

Top Bottom