PDA

View Full Version : Question for you chronic UAS sufferers...

Ukejenny
08-22-2013, 06:54 AM
What are y'all living off of - ramen noodles and koolaid? Dang, there is some major dough being spent on multiple acquisitions by some of you UUers!! At times like this, I really miss my disposable income! I need to change my user name form ukejenny to ukenvy!!! :p

Cheeso
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
i brown bag it, cut down on dating (or dating high maintenance types, anyway), cut down on beer/booze, and stopped buying other gear-guitars, synths. Though I have a long term plan for a modular synth, that can wait...

Uke Republic
08-22-2013, 07:01 AM
It got so bad for me (or good) that I had to become a dealer :)
All the ukuleles in my house and shop act as insulation which lowers my heating and cooling bill so I need to get more.

Dan Uke
08-22-2013, 07:01 AM
What are y'all living off of - ramen noodles and koolaid? Dang, there is some major dough being spent on multiple acquisitions by some of you UUers!! At times like this, I really miss my disposable income! I need to change my user name form ukejenny to ukenvy!!! :p

hahaha...we are all in different situations in life but I totally believe that a uke should never be bought with a credit card or any other loan unless you can pay it off at the end of the month.

Enjoy every uke that you currently own!

GinnyT11
08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I agree with nongdam. I found that I liked my ukes better than an old-fashioned watch a great-aunt gave me, better than gold earrings I haven 't worn since my hair turned gray, and a Chinese rug that had been rolled up in a closet for 10 years. Sale of all those items helped to fill my uke fund.

Do you have anything you can sell? Or do you do something (like tutoring) you can moonlight with to make a few extra bricks?

Appalachian picker
08-22-2013, 07:51 AM

My thoughts exactly...especially when I see the quick turnover of expensive instruments for less than what was originally paid.

I have early retirement (retiring at 53) happening next year so material possessions (Stuff Aquisition Syndrome) have come to mean less to me now. Oh don't get me wrong - I am currently jonesing for a new tenor guitar and would love to have a nice hollow-body electric guitar, not to mention a new fly rod, or a new set of wheels for my road racing bicycle, but sweet retirement has taken top priority, plus I have learned that I just don't need all that stuff.

And besides...I also found out that I like shopping and scanning ads on the internet and surfing ebay and nationwide Craisglist ads. The hunt is half the fun for me!

hammer40
08-22-2013, 08:14 AM
It is pretty amazing, :drool: so good for those who can afford to go there though. We will just have to live vicariously through them. I did make my one time splurge on my Compass Rose though, so I can't complain to much. :D

Shastastan
08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree with nongdam. I found that I liked my ukes better than an old-fashioned watch a great-aunt gave me, better than gold earrings I haven 't worn since my hair turned gray, and a Chinese rug that had been rolled up in a closet for 10 years. Sale of all those items helped to fill my uke fund.

Do you have anything you can sell? Or do you do something (like tutoring) you can moonlight with to make a few extra bricks?

These are good suggestions. Some of us can't increase our income except by selling some stuff that's worth something to other people. What we can do is to prioritize our spending. Do we need to go out to a movie and spend $30 when we can watch the same movie at home for $4.99 in a month? Do we need to eat out every week? I throw my loose change in a plastic jar on the dresser. I ask myself do I need a new leather sport coat or would I rather have a particular uke? If there's a special uke that you really gotta have, you can add a budget line item for it and start saving. I agree with the folks that suggest not going into debt to get a uke, but that's a general statement. If a store has one for half off that you really want at the moment........That's pretty rare though.

dkcrown
08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
It's all about making choices.

guitharsis
08-22-2013, 08:38 AM

A couple of years ago I sold some gold jewelry no longer being worn and a fine classical guitar no longer being played and purchased some nice ukes. Recently sold some vintage bowlback mandolins and some of my first K brand ukes I thought I would never part with. Wanting to keep the money from the sales
in music, specifically ukes, I've upgraded. Don't want to own more, just better quality ones.

Hippie Dribble
08-22-2013, 08:50 AM
I used to think I had UAS but I have lately decided what I have is more like UTS (Ukulele Trying Syndrome). I never have more than a small handful of ukes at any one time. Sure, I like to buy new ukes and experience the work of many different builders, but I can't afford to 'acquire' per se...I have low-no income so as soon as I buy one I need to sell another in order to fund each purchase...so yeah, try lots, sell lots. My buying has slowed down greatly this year as I seem to have found great contentment in what I currently own, which I'm thankful for.

Mattyukaholic
08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
For me it's all about prioritising and saving. I've spent a fair amount on ukuleles but then I don't drink or smoke and I live within me means, so it's my only vice.

haole
08-22-2013, 08:53 AM
The cure for my UAS was realizing that I will be paying off school for a LONG time, and that I will probably find it really hard to enjoy something I bought while in absolutely crushing debt. If anything, I'm probably going to downsize very soon.

RichM
08-22-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't drink, I don't smoke, my tastes in food are simple, I don't have expensive hobbies like skiing or golf or scuba diving. Music is my passion, and I'm not shy about spending a couple of bucks on it.

Almost all instruments have some resale value, and good ones will often net you most or all of your money back, if you need to sell. I'd sooner put a few extra bucks into a new instrument then a .010% account at the bank.

vanflynn
08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
They're paying prime dollars for plasma these days, you know.

Dan Uke
08-22-2013, 09:15 AM
It's all about making choices.

I've decided that my kids will get no support for college...that freed up a lot of funds!! JUST KIDDING!!! :p

aqualung23
08-22-2013, 09:17 AM
I haven't been playing long, but I've already overcome this simply by realizing that I would have been better off buying one REALLY good uke instead of the 4 I have. I also realized I don't like regular scale sopranos at all, so I won't be buying anymore of those.

mds725
08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
My ukuleles are cheaper than a red Maserati convertible.

I agree that one shouldn't buy an ukulele (or almost anything, really, absent exigent circumstances) with a credit card if you can't pay the card off in full.

I've been lucky to have a job that pays well enough, and a while ago I instituted a policy that for every ukuleole I bought, I'd donate one (*not* of equivalent value) to charity. Still, I think I've probably "overacquired," given that I have some ukuleles I don't play very much, and may downsize soon.

Gillian
08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Ginny's right. I'm keeping stuff that my daughter has told me she doesn't want so it's time to get busy on Craiglist and Ebay so I can finance a Compass Rose mini-jumbo. :D

Gillian
08-22-2013, 09:31 AM
My ukuleles are cheaper than a red Maserati convertible.

I agree that one shouldn't buy an ukulele (or almost anything, really, absent exigent circumstances) with a credit card if you can't pay the card off in full.

I've been lucky to have a job that pays well enough, and a while ago I instituted a policy that for every ukuleole I bought, I'd donate one (*not* of equivalent value) to charity. Still, I think I've probably "overacquired," given that I have some ukuleles I don't play very much, and may downsize soon.

Mark, is one of those a mini-jumbo?

greenie44
08-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Had this experience myself just last week. I have been longing for a high end tenor I fell in love with, but it's pretty expensive. I was in my closet the other day and almost tripped over a couple of electric guitars I have had for decades. I opened up the cases and picked them up and thought "No way - I am a uke player now".

Given their age, I went and did some research on value. Huzzah - one of them is worth more than half the price of the longed-for tenor! (The other has a structural flaw, but I might be able to sell that one too.) And I thought, gee, if I could buy the uke for half price, I'd do it in a minute.

So hopefully it will all come together. If so, there will be a joyous NUD posting from me in a month.

HendrikM
08-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Thankfully I'm still happy in the kiddie pool of ukes. There may be a nice one in my future, but until im ready to tell the difference the Costco Kohala and Dolphin serve me well enough and didn't cost too much. I've probably spent more on the supporting books to learn.

So long as I don't try to touch a really good one which would reset my expectations then I should be able to hold off a little longer:)

But agree there are some awfully beautiful works of art out there

allanr
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
hahaha...we are all in different situations in life but I totally believe that a uke should never be bought with a credit card or any other loan unless you can pay it off at the end of the month.

Enjoy every uke that you currently own!

I totally agree. But I am a very sick man, and my UAS often forces me to act against his better advice. I also have decent day-job.

Uncle Leroy
08-22-2013, 10:50 AM
well, at the ripe old age of 47 both my kids have finished college and are on their own. Two years ago I took a job that nearly doubled my income so I am very lucky that I can start planning my retirement and get a few ukes along the way. I used to have a closet full of vintage guitars that took me years to accumulate and now and then I let one go to get a new uke or some other interesting thing. But I never buy something that isn't paid off at the end of the month and budgeted for.
In today's world a person can have anything they want and make the minimum payment until they die. I cannot endorse that thinking. So, I just try and make good choices and plan for the things I want. (or think I do).

UncleMoon
08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
It got so bad for me (or good) that I had to become a dealer :)

I've actually considered this.

"Here kid - this time it's love. Next time - you pay."

Appalachian picker
08-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Like someone said earlier - it all comes down to choice and the way one chooses to live their life.

I just got promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Army and am enjoying the healthy pay raise that follows. With no kids (never had them) to finance my wife and I have more then enough disposable income to buy whatever I want, but we're saving for an early, extended, and comfortable retirement and I've chosen to save rather than spend.

I love to fly fish and am a member of Internet forums where members have 20+ fly rods and assorted high dollar reels and other piles of gear. Do I think their crazy for spending thousands? Sure I do, but it's their choice.

I ride my bicycle 6,000 miles/year and am a member of Internet bike racing forums and know guys that spend obscene amounts of money on their bikes. Same thing - I think their nuts - but it makes them happy so it's all good.

I'm learning to play the guitar and over at the acoustic guitar forum there are people that again, spend lots of cash on acquiring guitars. Same thing.

Whether it's UAS - ukulele acquisition syndrome, GAS - guitar acquisition syndrome, GAS - gear acquistion syndrome etc etc etc it's all the same. Some people like to collect, accumulate, spend whatever on the things that make them happy. As long as no one gets hurt - then I say live and let live!

Ukejenny
08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I am 44 and married/had kids later in life, so I have a 9 and 6 year old. I teach lessons here and there (not on ukulele) and that money goes to the kids' activities for the most part, but I'm starting a secret ukulele jar hidden in the back corner of my closet, or maybe under the mattress. I'm not ready to decide what kind of lovely ukulele I want in the future, but all the beautiful instruments y'all share on UU has my head full of ideas and dreams. The possibilities are endless.

Strumdaddy
08-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I used to collect custom and vintage accoustic guitars.... and mandolin family instruments, until I just ran out of storage room for those enormous cases! One factor that makes it possible to collect a few ukes is that they don't take up much room. I'm interested in vintage cars and caravans too, but can't fit too many under my bed.

jwieties
08-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Lots of ukers have also made the transition from acoustic guitar where a basic Martin, Taylor, Gibson or Larrivee can set you back a couple grand. Most custom builds start in the $5000 and quickly go way up. When I started playing ukes, I was stunned with the level of quality you could get for $500 - $800. So, it was easy to get carried away. However, as an added bonus, if you buy wisely they maintain their value fairly well in the used market. Right now I've got about $2000 invested in 3 ukes and I could basically get all of my money back out of it if I needed. I've got the same amount invested in my computer that, while important, brings me a fraction of the enjoyment and will be worth about $50 in 4 years.

strumsilly
08-23-2013, 12:55 AM
I've had a lot of nice ukes pass through my hands. By buying used I've been able to try a lot of different sizes and styles of ukes without hardly any loss of funds. I'm finally pretty satisfied with my stable, but always on the lookout for a good deal on something interesting. luckily my wife has a good job. haha

bonesigh
08-23-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm at a point in my UAS that I'm ready to sell some to fund a really nice uke. It's so hard to decide which are to go though. I'm attached to them, they are like an ugly puppy from the pound, it does not matter if they look a little rough or sound funny, I still love 'em. When I'm out and about my day I'm always thinking when I making purchases anywhere.....DANG, that could have bought a uke! Just spent 400.00 on my old doggie....DANG, that could have bought a nice uke, etc., etc. Sigh...........

wayfarer75
08-23-2013, 02:43 AM
If I didn't have a kid in daycare, I could buy a Kamaka tenor every month. When she goes to a regular school next year I will have more money to spend. Right now, I have some things I could sell, like some jewelry and one of my two clarinets, which I am really considering doing.

One woman might carry a Louis Vuitton purse and take a road trip to a lake cabin, another woman might choose to travel to Rome and carry a purse from Target. It's all about what you're willing to spend your money on.

Doc_J
08-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Decide on priorities. For me it's a brown bag lunch everyday and my own roasted coffee (no Starbucks or Dunkin Doughnuts, plus mine is better!). I'm lucky my wife prefers my cooking to eating out (healthier too). Don't hire out chores you can do yourself for free (mowing, painting, computer repairs, small house repairs, oil changes). Sell things of value you no longer need or want (sold a used pond filter on ebay ). I've also re-homed about 50 ukes since 2009.

If you do some of these things, you'll be surprised at what ukes you can buy. BTW there must be a YT video on how to fix almost anything!

PS
It also makes a difference if you only have 4-legged critters running around on the floor. ;)

Hippie Dribble
08-23-2013, 04:38 AM
PS
It also makes a difference if you only have 4-legged critters running around on the floor. ;)
Wow...UAS as a cure for the world's over-population. I like the way you think Doc. :p

hawaii 50
08-23-2013, 05:03 AM
My thoughts exactly...especially when I see the quick turnover of expensive instruments for less than what was originally paid.

I have early retirement (retiring at 53) happening next year so material possessions (Stuff Aquisition Syndrome) have come to mean less to me now. Oh don't get me wrong - I am currently jonesing for a new tenor guitar and would love to have a nice hollow-body electric guitar, not to mention a new fly rod, or a new set of wheels for my road racing bicycle, but sweet retirement has taken top priority, plus I have learned that I just don't need all that stuff.

And besides...I also found out that I like shopping and scanning ads on the internet and surfing ebay and nationwide Craisglist ads. The hunt is half the fun for me!

I retired in Jan 2013...after working forever...over 40 years...most of the time at the US Post Office...since I knew I was retiring I saved up some money to give myself a nice a great gift that I could use for the rest of my life e.g. super nice car.boat etc...

but I am so happy I started playing the Ukulele..after living in Calif. for over 30 years I am back home in Hawaii..I have many nice ukuleles...but my dream ukes are here now I got a Beautiful Moore Bettah this month and my Devine is being built right now...so at the end of the year I will have the ukes I will treasure for the rest of my life...when my hands can no longer play them..I will pass them on to someone who appreciates them too!

so lucky to have discovered the Ukulele....way better than a Corvette...haha

Ukejenny
08-23-2013, 07:11 AM
If I didn't have a kid in daycare, I could buy a Kamaka tenor every month. When she goes to a regular school next year I will have more money to spend. Right now, I have some things I could sell, like some jewelry and one of my two clarinets, which I am really considering doing.

One woman might carry a Louis Vuitton purse and take a road trip to a lake cabin, another woman might choose to travel to Rome and carry a purse from Target. It's all about what you're willing to spend your money on.

I don't think I could sell any of my clarinets, but I do have other instruments that I might be able to talk myself into parting with.

wayfarer75
08-23-2013, 07:25 AM
I don't think I could sell any of my clarinets, but I do have other instruments that I might be able to talk myself into parting with.

I know what you mean. I have a clarinet and a tenor saxophone that will never be sold, ever. I also never plan to sell any of my ukuleles. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but what I buy I in the future I intend to keep.

Olarte
08-23-2013, 07:32 AM
I hear you... I was able to get a nice collection as part of my severance package ;-) including 3 Koalohas and a Mya-Moe... I went for variety rather than spending more than a grand on any one uke.

If I were to pay more it would be to get a 5k classical guitar, but I found one the I love and have been playing for 5 years so I'm safe there whew!

And collections like yours or mine improve the quality of life but can always be resold should the need arise.

Enjoy your retirement, and your ukes, you deserve them!

I retired in Jan 2013...after working forever...over 40 years...most of the time at the US Post Office...since I knew I was retiring I saved up some money to give myself a nice a great gift that I could use for the rest of my life e.g. super nice car.boat etc...

but I am so happy I started playing the Ukulele..after living in Calif. for over 30 years I am back home in Hawaii..I have many nice ukuleles...but my dream ukes are here now I got a Beautiful Moore Bettah this month and my Devine is being built right now...so at the end of the year I will have the ukes I will treasure for the rest of my life...when my hands can no longer play them..I will pass them on to someone who appreciates them too!

so lucky to have discovered the Ukulele....way better than a Corvette...haha

mm stan
08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I am retired and on a fixed income.....maybe Len will give me a uke.....

hawaii 50
08-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I am retired and on a fixed income.....maybe Len will give me a uke.....

Haha like I said I saved some money before I retired...broke now...
what you want to have 1001 ukuleles....you might have enough now...haha

Ukejenny
08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Like the eternal question, What's more important, uke quality or uke quantity? To which I have to answer, Yes!!

coolkayaker1
08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Like the eternal question, What's more important, uke quality or uke quantity? To which I have to answer, Yes!!
That's funny, ukejenny.

Yeah, the bug bites hard, and then you go through stages--I like sopranos, I hate sopranos. I want a baritone, a baritone's too big. I love acoustic, no I love electric. I love Aquilas, no I love Southcoasts. It keeps yanking your pant leg down the rabbit hole. Every time you claw out, a big black hook comes out and drags you back into the darkness.

At least that's what happens to me.

Olarte
08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
You have a good point , which is why with classical guitar being my main instrument I only have two and they are identical models. My primary instrument is a very personal thing hence the one model I use.

Ukes however are a different story, maybe because I'm not as serious about this instrument, part of my enjoyment is being able to play certain pieces in different sized ukes with different sound and playing qualities.

However, your comment about collectors posting to fix prices, I have no idea what you mean, at least here in UU. I've been here since 2009, and I've never seen any evidence of that, in fact all the prices I see here are usually lower than eBay. I think the aloha spirit of UU is to help a fellow Uke member own a Uke you no longer want/need at a reasonable, and often a bargain price and of the other way around as you suggest.

Everybody l knows if you want to help a fellow Uke enthusiast, you sell here, if you are in it for the money then go the eBay route.

As for retailers like Mim. Or HMS Mike, or koaloha their reputation precedes them, at this point they don't need any marketing here in UU, we know who they are, and value and welcome their wonderful and personal service.

Firstly, not everything you read is true and there are a lot of unauthentic posts across the Internet. Some forms of marketing use Dorothy Dix type questions and complaints to get the attention of potential customers. Also this site is a focal point and only represents a tiny proportion of all the uke owners on the planet. "Collectors" will post stuff here to try to control prices and availability of the ukes they own or want.
If you are not in a group or club, find one and tag along. My experience is that once you actually meet real people, they mostly do not buy more than one or two mid range ukes which do the job well enough. They also are more interested in the music and the social activity than owning a lot of ukes. In each group I know of there are one or two "collectors" and the rest are happy with one or two instruments. Also the music teachers and professional players I know rarely seem to own or afford more than one trusty instrument.

Dan Uke
08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I really thought I didn't have UAS for quantity but for quality so I had the one in, one out rule but it's changed lately for the worse!! After narrowing my interest to a few brands that I like, I want to buy a couple more and keep them all!!

GinnyT11
08-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Firstly, not everything you read is true and there are a lot of unauthentic posts across the Internet. Some forms of marketing use Dorothy Dix type questions and complaints to get the attention of potential customers. Also this site is a focal point and only represents a tiny proportion of all the uke owners on the planet. "Collectors" will post stuff here to try to control prices and availability of the ukes they own or want.
If you are not in a group or club, find one and tag along. My experience is that once you actually meet real people, they mostly do not buy more than one or two mid range ukes which do the job well enough. They also are more interested in the music and the social activity than owning a lot of ukes. In each group I know of there are one or two "collectors" and the rest are happy with one or two instruments. Also the music teachers and professional players I know rarely seem to own or afford more than one trusty instrument.

Interesting viewpoint, that collectors try to control prices. I thought prices were controlled by what buyers are willing to pay. That's the Invisible Hand of the Market.

What are "Dorothy Dix type questions"?

Stevelele
08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I, too, have had a bad case of UTS, but I think.... I think it's almost over. In the end, I might sell almost everything

I used to think I had UAS but I have lately decided what I have is more like UTS (Ukulele Trying Syndrome). I never have more than a small handful of ukes at any one time. Sure, I like to buy new ukes and experience the work of many different builders, but I can't afford to 'acquire' per se...I have low-no income so as soon as I buy one I need to sell another in order to fund each purchase...so yeah, try lots, sell lots. My buying has slowed down greatly this year as I seem to have found great contentment in what I currently own, which I'm thankful for.

mm stan
08-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Interesting viewpoint, that collectors try to control prices. I thought prices were controlled by what buyers are willing to pay. That's the Invisible Hand of the Market.

What are "Dorothy Dix type questions"?

Intresting viewpoint indeed....collectors controling the market prices? retailer, reseller, and hype controls market.....

drbekken
08-24-2013, 12:36 AM
I just stick to cheap ukes, cheap as in max USD 100 for one uke. Never really played any of the high end instruments out there. My current uke is a Rogue soprano. Easy to afford a few.