Martin tenor ukulele numbers

prairieschooner

Reaction score
I have ordered the book but could someone advise me as to how many Martin Tenor Size Ukuleles were made prior to 1977? I have been advised that roughly 9,000 Concert size were made.
The Soprano is a little hard for me to learn on because of the size of my hands so I would like to buy a larger size. I am looking for an original Concert or Tenor just because I like vintage and quality equipment.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

pre '94 Tenor total is 16,000, with most of those built between 1946 and 1965 or so. After '77 total is around 100

prairie and peewee, I wanted to point out that some of the totals in the book are incorrect. The yearly productions might be right, but the summation is wrong. e.g. look up Martin Oliver Ditson, I think page 194. The yearly prod numbers do not add up to the end sum; it's off by a longshot. A UU Pal of mine found other charts like that and informed Mr. Walsh. Hard to tally all the tenors, so I guess we'll have to believe the sums. Just a point about edition 1 of this outstanding book.

To put the 9k concerts and 16k tenors (approx both) in perspective, Martin made 14k soprano ukuleles in one year! I think it was their biggest year, like, 1929 or something (I don't have the book in front of me). So, I'd guess there's twenty to fifty-fold more sopranos than concerts and tenors out in vintageland.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and numbers guys. This helps me in my search!

I believe concert is the rarest vintage size; at least is see fewer of them and they tend to sell for more than other Martins of comparable condition and vintage.

Prairie, that Martin tenor on the Bay now, 1966, does not have original tuners, I don;t think. Geared tuners were only used by Martin since 2005 or something, I think. I could be wrong (I'm dying w/out Walsh/King here). Not that you mentioned that one...but I know you're looking.

Yes I am looking. I thought that I wanted a Concert size but after trying a few out I am now wondering if a Tenor size would be better for me. I really like the sound of a Soprano size although I am having a hard time fitting my "sausage fingers" to make some of the cords. That coupled with long arms I am now considering the larger Tenor size. This also suggests why there are more Tenor size than the Concert size out there.
That '66 Tenor has had allot of work and without being to touch, feel and smell.....it makes me cautious.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom