Highest tension Strings set for Bari with DGBE tunning?

BBJohn

Reaction score
As title, I'm wondering what brand has the DGBE (low D) tuning string with high tension?
I am guessing worth should be pretty high tension?
And I want to tune my bari to DGBE so not considering SouthCoast here, but i know they are great strings!

Last edited:
As title, I'm wondering what brand has the DGBE (low D) tuning string with high tension?
I am guessing worth should be pretty high tension?
And I want to tune my bari to DGBE so not considering SouthCoast here, but i know they are great strings!

Why would you not consider Southcoasts??????? Many players here have given positive review of them. They do sets in DGBE !!!! Check with them.

Otherwise, check out Guadalupe fiber cores for high tension strings.

Custom string makers such as these choose strings based on optimum tension at a given scale length and having more or less tension will change, but not improve tone.

Why would you not consider Southcoasts???????

Want to tune to DGBE (low D) because my girlfriend plays guitar and i want to play with her together without using capo all the time~
And I checked out SouthCoast after you suggested me last time, and i only found dGBE (high d) re-entrant one, i think their heaviest gauge linear set for baritone is tune in A.
But i think i'll get a set for my tenor soon tho!

Check out the range of classical guitar strings at your local music shop. They come in several ranges of tension and don't cost a lot and you can take them straight away. I usually use the four high strings and keep the leftovers as spares for the guitar. Also I sometimes use the d string from the packet as the g string and vice versa, depending on string diameter. I keep the b and e strings as the b and e strings on the Bari. This is not a new idea or my idea, it has been a common practice for a long time.
I mostly use Augustine and D'addario brands, but there are others as well like Martin and la Bella.

I actually just stole my girlfriend's guitar's B and E string, and put it on my bari. Now it sounds just like a guitar, very sweet one. And i was having buzz with the Koolau Gold on the B and E string, around 10 all the way to 15 frets, i think the action is a bit low and there wasnt enough tension as well. Thats why i was looking for a high tension string set. After i put my gf's guitar string on, the buzz is a lot less now, and the sound is something new for me since i dont play guitar :D

Btw, should i cut the ball end of guitar string and tie it like normal ukulele string?

I recommend giving Ko'olau Alohi baritone strings a go.
I use them exclusively on my baritones for the specific reason that they have high tension and beefier string width than many other bari strings.

Want to tune to DGBE (low D) because my girlfriend plays guitar and i want to play with her together without using capo all the time~
And I checked out SouthCoast after you suggested me last time, and i only found dGBE (high d) re-entrant one, i think their heaviest gauge linear set for baritone is tune in A.
But i think i'll get a set for my tenor soon tho!

If you haven't, I'd email Southcoast just to be sure. Also, check out those Guadalupes. I supect you can get the set you want from either of them. They are both "custom" string makers.

I've been very pleased with the D'Addario Nlytech strings. My only complaint is that the wound strings seem to wear quickly. But the tone is fantastic, and the treble strings have relatively high tension (the floppiest string would be the D string, but even that is acceptable IMO).

If you haven't, I'd email Southcoast just to be sure. Also, check out those Guadalupes. I supect you can get the set you want from either of them. They are both "custom" string makers.

Ya, I did email them and they told me that they only have re-entrant dGBE~ I guess i might try out the guadalupes that sell on the mainland website! |
Just bought some A'ddario and Worth CB, if those dont work out then i'll try the custom :D

Top Bottom