Rresonator 8-string concert uke?

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
I wanted to upgrade my resonator, so I comissioned a local luthier that builds ukes and resonator guitars for a mahogany concert.

I have a Republic Guitars reso-uke. The neck on those things are not great, so I decided, instead of selling, removing the neck and making a new, better one. Since I will have a high quality 4-string resonator concert uke, I decided to put a 8-string neck on it, based on the Martin Taropatch measures.

Any hints? Do you think I will have any issue with that?

I will try to keep a log of the build in this link, if anyone's interested.

Check in the Luthier's Corner on reinforcement issues.

Sounds too cool! I can hardly wait to see pics and listen to a sound sample.

A possible suggestion might be to set it up so that it can also be strung with steel strings. On the other hand (thinking out loud...) there is no shortage of small instruments strung with 8 steel strings. It might be more interesting to keep it as a "pure" 8 string ukulele.

Either way, your project, your call. And I can't wait to see the results, whatever you decide.

Thanks! I'm very anxious!

I've done a research on the measures of the neck of Martin Taropatches:

Nut width: 1,5" (3,8 cm)
Scale lenght: 14,8" (37,6 cm)

Since it's not possible to move the position of the saddle, maybe I'll try to keep close to that, but with the 12th or 14th fret joining the body.

About fitting the neck with steel strings... Meh, I don't think so. There are a few resonator mandolins out there. I just don't see the point. Also, I was thinking about doing a Triolian painting, but I'm not sure yet because of the gigantic amount of money (not so much, actually. but I'm cheap) I'm spending on the build of the mahogany reso.

I'll bump here whenever I have an update!

Top Bottom