I was just added to Brad Donaldson's build list

Brian W

Reaction score
I contacted Brad Donaldson recently about building a 12 fret soprano, and he just added me to his build list. I am having it built with a solid sitka spruce top and solid myrtle back and sides, with an ebony fretboard and bridge. I haven't decided on the shape or binding options yet, since he said it may be at least 6 months before he would be able to start the build; he told me he is really backed up with his custom orders. I am very patient and have no problem with waiting as long as it takes. I have had a few e-mail correspondances with him, and he is a great person to deal with, and really knows his craft. I will keep you all up to date with its progress.

Nice!! Hope my number comes up soon.

Congrats on your new, custom, uke to be. Is this like being "engaged?"

he said it may be at least 6 months before he would be able to start the build; he told me he is really backed up with his custom orders. I am very patient and have no problem with waiting as long as it takes. .

Welcome to the queue. I have been on Brad's list for a koa pineapple since October 2011. Look waaay up ahead...see that guy waving back at you. That's me.

Congratulations! That is exciting!

Welcome to the queue. I have been on Brad's list for a koa pineapple since October 2011. Look waaay up ahead...see that guy waving back at you. That's me.

Wow. He did inform me that he was behind schedule, but I didn't know he was that far behind. He told me that my build requirements were something he would categorize as a standard build (no fancy inlays, binding, wood types, or body shape designs), and he thought that he would be able to fit this in-between some of his more custom builds in the next 6 months or so. I figured with what he told me, that it would probably be closer to 9 months to up to a year before he was able to complete the build. Does your Koa pineapple have a lot of custom features?

...and I'll wave forward to Mr. coolkayaker1 and back (I hope) to Brian - I've been on the waiting list to get on the build list since April 2012.

Congrats....yes I am one to say Brad build nice sounding ukes and real fun to play.....the myrtle spruce combo has an excellent tone.....

...and I'll wave forward to Mr. coolkayaker1 and back (I hope) to Brian - I've been on the waiting list to get on the build list since April 2012.

Hey Kathryn..i hope the builder goes in the right order...why would there be a list if you are not going to build them in the order they were taken?

good luck...I hope you get it soon..
Stan likes them so they should be good...

Last edited:

Interesting. I've been on Brad's list since November 2011. Not quite as long as you Steve.

I recently received my Custom Donaldson Concert - 14 frets to the body, cutaway, contrasting binding, personal sound port, K&K Twinspot pickup, Port Orford Cedar top and birdsye maple back & sides - definitely not stock, and that was before having some special badges inlaid in the fretboard, headstock, and on the back of the headstock.

I gave Brad my wants, left the rest up to him, and just started saving my money.

Health and family issues interfered, but Brad always responded to emails, let me know where he was on the instrument, and I was in no hurry. (Foaming at the mouth, waiting for my New! Toy! perhaps, but not in a hurry.)

When I received the uke, it was worth the wait. Every Second.

I find myself playing my Donaldson more that anything now, and I have a lot of ukes that I Love- Capital L intended.

The only thing I didn't ask about was a pin strap at the base of the neck, and after speaking with Brad about it, I will have it done at a local shop. (I want it done right, so I am not doing it myself.)

Congratulations on your Donaldson, and Good Luck to everyone waiting - you will be pleased.

One of these days I'll actually do a Video Review - until then, I'm just loving playing it.

-Kurt​

A couple of weeks ago Brad had two spruce top/koa bodied 12 fret sopranos available that were very reasonably priced. Now he only has 1 :) Its one of the best sopranos I've owned.

Wow. He did inform me that he was behind schedule, but I didn't know he was that far behind. He told me that my build requirements were something he would categorize as a standard build (no fancy inlays, binding, wood types, or body shape designs), and he thought that he would be able to fit this in-between some of his more custom builds in the next 6 months or so. I figured with what he told me, that it would probably be closer to 9 months to up to a year before he was able to complete the build. Does your Koa pineapple have a lot of custom features?

Hi, Brian. No actually, it never really did have special inlays or anything. In fact, BigSkyGirl was right behind me in the wait list, and last I heard from her (admittedly, it was about four months ago), she was still waiting, too. As I recall, she was to have two ukes made! Judging from my pals Katherine and Doc J, I see there's quite a list. Hmmm.

Well, I'll tell you what--since the wait for a DOnaldson is over two years, I'll sell my spot in the queue for, ah, let's say fifty bucks. :)

This is a good time to update my long suffering customers on what is happening in my life and their orders. First of all, my sincere apologies to all who have been waiting so long, it certainly was not my intention for things to get this far out of hand and truth be told, I am probably as upset about this as anyone. A little over a year ago we had a family crisis involving my father in law and a predatory home health care aide which basically shut down my building for a number of months. This, for the most part has been resolved, although we are still dealing with the health issues of my father in law. Secondly, to be perfectly honest, I overestimated my ability to crank out custom orders and is entirely my fault. The amount of creative energy required is much greater than I imagined. In order to bring things back in line, I have ceased to accept any complex new orders and any new orders received are on a "when I can get to it basis". I have found that it helps to clear my head to intersperse simple builds in between my more creative ones. Realizing that some of you are decidedly unhappy with me, my goal forward is to please as many as I can. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to call or email me.
Thank you,
Brad

I would Give Brad as long as it takes if it comes out like the soprano he made I played....it is awesome... no question like Dmace said, one of the best soprano's I ever played.... really :)

Also he doesnt take deposits so there is no consideration or a contract. He's a great guy to work with.

Hi Brad, thanks for the update. I don't think you are getting my emails as I've sent 2 over the last few months. I'm not in a big hurry just wanted to see where you were on the list. I'm after coolkayaker and don't mind waiting but could you just confirm I'm still on the list when you have a chance?

Thanks

Top Bottom