String Questions

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have a sweet little solid acacia Kala tenor that had aquila strings on it....I switched to the Worth Browns- the BT ones. My uke sounds nicer but my fingers are taking a beating on the thinner strings,plus, as a beginner, I'm having a bit of a challenge seeing them against my dark brown fretboard. (yes, I still look :)) ) and I'm having a bit of a struggle barring chords, particularly B, I find myself pressing very hard to fret on the first two frets.
Would anyone have any suggestions for strings that can play alot softer on my hands? And can someone enlighten me on what brands of strings are hard vs soft. High tension vs low tension? What is the sound/ playability differences?
Or should I just toughen up and keep with the current Worths?
Any advice would be great- you all are the BEST!!!!!
Nancy

I think nylon has a softer feel and a thicker diameter. I like the Ko'olau Alohi [available from HMS] which are very similar to the Diaddorio T-2. nice translucent purple hue too. Your action at the nut could be making the barrs on the 1st few frets harder too.

One of the major factors in playability are the strings.
Strings affect set-up, since you changed strings you may want to get your ukulele set-up.
String diameters and tension can dramatically change how your ukulele plays as well as sounds.
Some of it may just you adjusting to the new feel, but I would have the ukulele at least checked out by someone with real experience.

I've done a total turnaround from liking really hard, high-tension strings, to liking strings that are softer and more flexible. My favorites as of lately are D'Addario Nyltechs - they seem really soft and are really easy for me to fret, bend, and hammer-on.

I think nylon has a softer feel and a thicker diameter. I like the Ko'olau Alohi [available from HMS] which are very similar to the Diaddorio T-2. nice translucent purple hue too. Your action at the nut could be making the barrs on the 1st few frets harder too.

I like the Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany concert.. Also hearing many good things about Living Waters.

I have Aquila on my concert and Worth clears on my tenor, and for me, the Worths feel better. So, now I am wondering if it is the difference in the tenor vs. the concert or the fact that my tenor has a better setup. I've been thinking about getting a set of Worth clears for my concert and taking them and the instrument to have a real setup done on it.

Worth browns take a while to get used to; your fingers will need to toughen up. Worth clears are thicker & lower tension so easier to play, but still fluorocarbon. They're also brighter sounding than the browns. It will probably take some experimentation to find strings that you like for any particular instrument.

Worth browns take a while to get used to; your fingers will need to toughen up. Worth clears are thicker & lower tension so easier to play, but still fluorocarbon. They're also brighter sounding than the browns. It will probably take some experimentation to find strings that you like for any particular instrument.

Thank you for the explanation. I do seem to notice a lower tension feel with the Worths. Definitely going to get a set for my concert.

Aloha Nancy,
to be honest, I never cared for Worth browns...Either you need a softer thinner less tension string and or a set up....it you have a hard time fretting the first fret the action at the nut
may be high....also the saddle... address these issues and you will have more comfort and playability in your kala,,,,the sting make a difference in playability and comfort and alos tone too
It you want a warmer tone on your Kala go with Martins.....they are right in the middle and great starting off point for strings for playability, comfort and tone...also next month, Oasis
will come out with their tenor, I really suggest those strings. thinner strings will improve playabiity and make your uke brighter like worths clear lights, and thicker softer strings like
alohis will warm you tone....good luck, I hope it helps...if you need further help just ask
PS if your worths is losing it tune and your tuners are holding, then if it's new strings, the strings are streching and breaking in....just be patient and they will
eventually hole, in you have those regular tuners with the screw on the top of
the button knobs, tighten them a bit...:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom