PDA

View Full Version : Nut Material

gp-ak
01-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm going to put a new nut on a ukulele and was wondering how much difference bone makes compared to plastic or tusq or something like that? Recommonendations?

deach
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I have had my nuts as long as I can remember. I'm not sure of the material but it seems natural. I've never compared them. They seem to work ok. Very long sustain. No complaints.

Lanark
01-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I have had my nuts as long as I can remember. I'm not sure of the material but it seems natural. I've never compared them. They seem to work ok. Very long sustain. No complaints.

That would be bone, then?

gp-ak
01-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Well the first two nuts I had were ok but the third is developing some kind of weird seperation, I don't know man.

Kekani
01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Nothing against bone, but Tusq, from a workability standpoint, and more so from a "its a great company to deal with" standpoint - I stick with Tusq.

Yes, the Dunwoodie's (really) and Graph Tech are good.

-Aaron

Ukuleleblues
01-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Geeezzz as soon as I saw this thread's title I knew this would happen, we are home laughing our A** off.

Regster
01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
well i changed the nuts n saddle of my uke
the nut is tusq
n the saddle is bone
n im quite happy with the sound

from what i hear
tusq- louder n fuller
bone- clearer n brighter

GrumpyOldMan
01-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Well the first two nuts I had were ok but the third is developing some kind of weird seperation, I don't know man.
There is definitely something weird about having a third nut! :rolleyes:
But Deach, about the long sustain; Wait 'til you get to my age, it takes all night to do what I used to do all night. :biglaugh:

Ian.

BboyEmperor
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Deach, just like your signature says.

I knew someone would make a joke as soon as I saw the thread's title...