How do you maintain your passion and intrest through your Uke Journey?

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have seen some come and go and many others Plateau...even myself but that may be because my physial health issues...How do
you overcome your ukulele blahs.... for me I think getting a better quality instrument and find the right strings, learning to tune your uke to the best for it has alot to do with it.. also keep learning and finding new songs and techniques you like...I know I too got to a point where I could not even find a song to start up again....:( even sometimes groups and teachers become boring and time to look for new ones to expand and change dirrections...
But then there's the Aha moments when practice, persistance and perseverences pays off.... and that is really the joy of the music and the ukulele...

I have only been in the Uke Realm for about three years, and it has been a continual opening up for me. Every time I hear yet another great song and think "Gee, I wonder what that song would sound like on uke", it's another immersion.

But you are probably beyond that stage. Another thing that helps is going back to songs I worked on a while back, especially ones that I couldn't quite get to. It is surprising to me how many of them just fall into place once I start them again.

So I guess I will run out of love for the uke once I run out of love for music - I've been running strong on that for decades, so it might just keep up.

Hi Stan; It's me, Stan, Stan. :cool: I think we have peaks and valleys. I doubt that I'll ever get bored with music because I keep discovering new things. Another thing is that our personalities are all different. I really pour myself into something when I first become interested in it. Then, after a period of time, I lose some interest in it. For me it's playing different styles of music, playing with different people, attending a workshop, getting new sound equipment and software, etc.. I don't think that I get bored with particular instruments though since I love the sound of all that I have. I do get bored practicing more than I would like. However if it's playing my trumpet or uke, I realize that I have to practice to keep my muscles in shape. There really isn't much of a choice, IMO.

I wrote on my blog about how I keep my practices fresh here: http://jonthysell.com/2013/07/22/how-i-make-the-most-out-of-my-ukulele-practice-sessions/

Though I'm still under the one year mark of really playing the uke. I started making the index cards because I found my biggest problem was just remembering all of the things I saw that interested me. I've also been listening to a much more eclectic set of music now, with an ear toward things that might be fun to play on the uke.

Or hey, just change to an alternate tuning and "start over", relearning chords and songs you already know.

Eh, Brah, you need to get out more and play with others :)

I know, that's easy for me to say. I wish I were there to help you out, Brah!
We'd be visiting Mike up in Haleiwa (HMS) akk the time :)

I'm blest here in Seattle with uke events and song circles practially every week(end).

Tomorrow, after helping out at a local elementary school, prepping for start of school, I'll
head down to Auburn for Zukulele from 1-3, then to a Block Party in North Seattle, and finally
a SUPA event in the International District as prelude to the showing of Life on 4 Strings, the
Jake Documentary at 9p! Makes for a full day :)

then there's Live Aloha on Sunday, Sept 8, a Kanikapila on the 2nd, and 3rd and 4th Sats of
each month... and on it goes. :)

I wish you could be a part of all this.

Next time, Brah, when I return to HNL, we gotta visit Mike and do our own Kani someplace :

keep uke'in',

My love for music has been cyclical for years now. I fall in love all over again and go through a "playing burst" and then things will calm down for a while and I'll play only when I'm teaching or have a gig. I'm not to that point with ukulele yet. Right now, it is still the honeymoon phase for me and my ukulele.

Being around people with similar interests always gives me a boost. I attend a clarinet symposium each year and it always gets me fired up. I hope to find a good uke get-together close enough to make a yearly pilgrimage.

Teaching lessons also helps motivate me. I see how a student loves what they are doing, how they are on fire to learn and improve, and it encourages me and renews my interest.

I kind of do cycles too. I go through phases of favouring various instruments. I play 'ukulele, guitar, fiddle, mandolin, bouzouki, tin whistle, bass guitar, harmonica... I mainly focus on uke, guitar and mandolin and for the past year or so I've drifted mostly back to guitar. I'm away on vacation at the moment and all I brought with me is a soprano 'ukulele.

I'm loving the re-engagement with uke and I feel a new phase in the cycle coming on!

I never lose interest in playing music, but my instrument of the moment is constantly changing.

weekly Ukulele Club meetings...

I keep trying music beyond my skill level. Sometimes way beyond. It never gets uninteresting. And when I get discouraged with a plateau, I backtrack and go through last years stuff. There's always progress going on.

Aloha all, thank you for your personal thoughts and suggestions....yes I been through all, the new ukes, different techniques, tunings, string, different size ukes...but I seem to love
my three new aquirements and that has really reinvigorated me more now again...but keep the suggestions coming please friends... I do plateau alot though, sheesh
"LOVE MY MOORE BETTAH DAYS" and it keeps my passion alive.....

When I don't feel like it, I just stop for a bit. It's hard to have the same joy every day. I'm glad I'm not a little kid and being forced to play so I really enjoy each time I play.

I don't really have many moments of losing interest, but definitely learning new songs keeps my interest piqued. The process of making a song your own with little nuances is always rewarding.

I don't play nearly as much as when I first started, and that was only 8 months ago - but I still play almost every day and I'm still loving it, even if I only pick one of my ukes up for 5 or 10 minutes, it still feels great to be able to play a few bars.

I'm not all that bothered about getting better or learning new things - I just like to plink around and in my mind I am Jake ....... keeps me happy, which is all I'm bothered about :D

For me it's all about learning new things. There's learning every note on the fretboard, fingerpicking, flatpicking, scales, arpeggios, reading music, chord progressions, knowing how to build chords, improvising solos and melodies, trying new styles of music like bluegrass, jazz, blues, using a slide, etc.

Stan-

I forgot my number one motivator - boring conference calls. I work at home, with a uke or two within arm's length. I find myself staring at my instrument longingly, and either break down during the call or pick it up as soon as I am done. I put the phone on mute - usually.

Ive yet to reach that point but i do have some times where the need is not there to play. And sometimes i pick up the uke after work before even saying hi to my lady lol. One thing ive just done too is sold a really good buddy of mine a uke to play. Gatherings and events are an amazing thing but having someone who you are very close and you actually spend time with 2-3 times a week is a fantastic thing. To be able to throw ideas and techniques back and forth is something you just cant replicate alone.

Learning to play music that's new to me keeps me going. Recently, the Seasons of the Ukulele contests have been a great source of new ideas. Plus it's inspiring to see and hear all the participants get better week after week.

Hmm..take a uke break, Stan. Attempt something different, like painting. It's easy, inexpensive, not physically taxing...and you are still using your creativity. I'd suggest watercolour (It doesn't use solvents), or soft pastels, which are an extension of your hand..no brush needed.

I'm actually the opposite of mm Stan's situation. I really need to get a paint brush or pastel stick in my hand and push some paint around but my ukes' pull is stronger!

I agree with a lot of folks here.

My interest really hasn't decreased in 4+ years since I started.

Recording my playing has helped my interest. I think I hear progress. I believe I am getting better with each passing month or year.
New instruments, new strings, new songs, helping someone, listening to others play, and of course UU, all help me to enjoy the uke more.

Top Bottom