What a sad day....

Nickie

Reaction score
I received some very sad news today....after the dozens of people that I have calmed, and made happy at work with my ukulele, I am not allowed to take it to work....it really stinks, is unjust, unfair, and wrong on so many levels...and not one client even complained about it! It made me sick to my stomach, I couldn't sleep last night after hearing the rumor of it...I wonder....what "volunteer" music therapist is going to come to a home or ALF and lullaby a restless patient to sleep, or cheer up a room full of mourning family memebers at 10 PM??? My job used to be fun...but I will find a way, I will perservere, and I will turn this around....somehow....

Sorry to hear the news. I'm sure you'll find a work around. Even if you were to go on your own time as a volunteer just to play for the clients? You might find it even more rewarding then before...

I hope it turns out ok, please keep us posted.

What a shame, Nickie. I hope it is a misunderstanding and/or there's some way for you to fight it.

If not, there's always the guerrilla aka pocket uke.

Good luck.

So sorry Nickie...I saw how much joy the ukulele brought my uncle, and how much it calmed him in his last weeks in the hospital... Music is truly healing... I hope they reverse their decision.

I am hoping the people that you play for will voice there opinion and things get changed back to how they were...good luck

Some places of work seem to no longer want employees to be human beings. I feel your disappointment.

"Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves."

That's your signature, Nickie, and even if (for the moment) you can't perform that function with an Ukulele, I know you will find another way.

I am hoping the people that you play for will voice there opinion and things get changed back to how they were...good luck

Aloha Len, they all in heaven now brah, but I'm shua they will put in the their word to the main man up there....

Aloha Nickie,
Some real sad news indeed......I hope you can find out why and discuss the matter to reverse their decision....and what lead to that.....did they say it just directly to you...
wow.... I hope they will reconsider their decision....keep plugging at them....it theres a will, theres a way....good luck girl....

Hey Nickie,

Sorry to hear about not playing. IMHO the playing works and hopefully they will change their mind. I had a dear friend in hospice and I had the 1AM to dawn watch for over a week. Well, he got a dose of Lightfoot and Buffett (a captive audience ), and we got a smile from the night nurse too.
I guess what I am saying is look at the good you did. Hopefully someday you will add to that.

Illegitimus noncarborandom (that's Latin for don't let the bastards wear you down!)

Peace

Last edited:
Yeah I'm curious on the reason. I am at a ALF sometimes and they have all these event planned out and I would think they would like some music.

Nickie, sounds like you know exactly what you need to be doing.... If you can't find a way to do it at your current work, then you will find another way to do it. Perhaps you need to make an agreement with the management on guidelines for you using your uke at work. Or you need to find other places to do it. Retrain as a "professional" music therapist? A big heart and a little uke will take you far....

Usually in situations like this, somebody "higher up" can't stand the thought of somebody having any so-called 'idle' time on their job. They don't want to pay someone to be happy. Never mind that it makes those in need of happiness well taken care of in the process.

Gah! I better stop before I say something nasty.

So sorry about the garbage you're having to put up with, Nickie. It was a truly honorable endeavor that you did until someone in their infinite wisdom took it away.

Keep up the good fight.

Hmmmm, must be one of the few ALF's in the country that wouldn't welcome this. You said "rumor", have you actually verified it. Probably some "loser" of a co-worker felt you were enjoying yourself and couldn't stand it. Maybe you could volunteer to play for the "competition." Hope to see you at the UkeFest in November.

I truly feel that you were doing the right thing, the good thing, and that whoever has put a stop to it has done the wrong thing. Maybe, with time, things will work out right and people will realize what a blessing you provided for so many.

Top Bottom