Can't tune A String?

soutermon

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and the world of Ukuleles!

I've been having trouble tuning my A String on my ukulele. I can never get the pitch to go as high as required, and when I'm trying, the pitch drops down a huge amount, without the peg turning.

I figured it may not be tight enough yet, but stupidly I've snapped 2 strings already trying to get it to the correct pitch.

Other strings seem to be sitting a lot better, and don't slip while I'm actually tuning them.

Am I just being impatient, and need to stretch the strings a bit more, or is there something else I'm not doing or doing wrong? I haven't tried tightening any screws yet, as I've only tried looking after the second string snapped!

Any help is much appreciated :)

I don't know, but maybe a couple of questions will help someone more experienced sort it out. First, the pitch you're trying to get is the same as the 5th fret of the E string, right? Next, what kind of strings are you using? What kind of uke is it? Are you tuning to a pitch pipe, chromatic tuner, or something else?

Best of luck - I'm a beginner myself. But I'm sure someone will have a good suggestion.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's the pitch I'm looking for.

I'm using Aquila nylgut strings on a cheap Mahalo beginners ukulele. I've tried using a cherub clip on tuner as well as doing it by ear according to a CD I have. It gets nowhere near every time I try, and even when it sounds like I may be getting closer, it drops down immediately.

Would I have to buy a new tuner if that were the case? Despite the pitch slipping, the peg doesn't turn back the way, and as is evident from the strings snapping, it's not losing tension.

Here's a pic of the type of tuners it has to make sure I'm understanding this correctly!

pegs.JPG

Just guessing, but could there be a nick or burr or something at the nut that is "catching" the string temporarily then when it "releases" the pitch drops? Or something like that? Also make sure you aren't trying to tune an octave too high (it happens-don't ask how I know :) )

Since the pitch is suddenly dropping, it sounds like you have slippage from either the knot where it's attached to the bridge, or around the tuning peg. When fastening it to the bridge, after you go through the hole and form the loop around the string, make sure you're going under the string twice before you pull it tighter...with the thick strings you may not be able to do that, but the thin strings definitely need to go under twice.

On the post, after you feed the end through the hole and take up the slack, go halfway around the post and feed the end through the hole again before you start to tighten. As you tighten the thin strings, you will get enough wraps around the post after that to make it secure.

Since you say the post isn't turning, we should be able to dismiss the possibility of the gear slipping on the post, which might be due to the Philips screw being loose, which is easy to check if you're not sure.

The breakage is another issue, but be sure it's not just the end of the string pulling through from slippage (which won't be a problem if you do as described above). Check the nut for sharp edges, as the other post described, and also the saddle...make sure the edge is not sharp. Also, maybe the most likely (and hardest to fix) is the post itself; the hole through it may have a sharp edge that was never deburred, and it's cutting the string when it gets tight. You might find a tiny needle file, or set of them, at a hardware store that you can use to smooth and round the metal edges of the hole through the post. Fine emery paper or board would easily round a sharp saddle edge, and perhaps some thin 400 grit sandpaper folded in half and drawn through the nut slot would smooth that (or a welder's torch tip cleaner, available at hardware stores for a couple of bucks).

A little detective work should find the issue...it's absolutely not normal for Aquila strings to snap like that, and it's possibly two separate issues, the string slipping and the sharp edge somewhere.

Hmm, lots there to ponder over!

For fastening at the bridge end, I did as you said, looped it and went under twice. At the post end, I wound the string round the post a few times before feeding it through the hole.

Thinking about it now, I can't remember if the string did actually snap, or just come out at the bridge end. I do know that it was wound round the post a lot more times than the other strings though, so it could have either slipped out at the bridge or frayed and snapped on a sharp edge like you said. Will have to investigate further when I pick up more strings. Will post any updates or questions once this is done!

Cheers.

OK, so I think it was the way I was tying the string at the bridge. I just had the same issue with the G string, and actually noticed the excess after the knot getting shorter and shorter as I was tightening at the peg.

The C and E strings don't have the same issue. Is there a different way I should be tying the thinner outer strings?

Cheers.

Hmm, lots there to ponder over!

For fastening at the bridge end, I did as you said, looped it and went under twice. At the post end, I wound the string round the post a few times before feeding it through the hole.

Thinking about it now, I can't remember if the string did actually snap, or just come out at the bridge end. I do know that it was wound round the post a lot more times than the other strings though, so it could have either slipped out at the bridge or frayed and snapped on a sharp edge like you said. Will have to investigate further when I pick up more strings. Will post any updates or questions once this is done!

Cheers.

It sounds like the A string may be wound around the peg too many times. About 3 wraps is plenty. If you start with 1 1/2 frets of slack before turning the peg it should be about right. More, and the string isn't tight around the peg and slips as it tightens. That would explain the pitch dropping.

is your Cherub tuner model...WST-550C...

this is the tuner for Ukulele...other models are for other instruments?

I have that exact same ukulele and the same tuners. Before changing my strings the first time, I referred to these videos and followed them step by step. The second video is very good at showing how to tie on the bridge.

Where is the string snappping..many times if it's breaking, inexperienced string changers are tuning the string a octave too high...remember the My dog has fleas when properly tuned...
good luck..

Top Bottom