Ukelele doesn't sound right?

Kevin_Harrell

Reaction score
So I just got a ukelele from a friend who bought it and never used it. I tried to tune it and 2 strings snapped. I recently bought Aquila Soprano Nylgut strings. Everytime I try to tune them they pop. It's like it's an octave lower than all the tuners I've used. But it sounds weird when it's an octave lower. It sounds horrible. Help?

To solve the popping problem, you may need to make bigger knots.

I was using an online tuner and tuning by listening to the note. But it's so much lower then it should be.

Aloha Kevin,
where is the string snapping at...above the nut?? the nut .??? could be like other have said you are a octave up....after tuned it should be strumed down slowly string to string and
you should get my dog has fleas tune....if properly tuned.. also chech the nut and saddle for rough edges to cut your string...good luck Actually when tuned by pitch a dropped tuning
it sounds richer and fuller.... you cannot learn this right away, it takes time and at least year or more easy for some to figure out and develop this..I'm not sure what brand of uke
you have or tone you prefer, but Aqulas are know for volume and brighness.... martins are generally a warmer tone and to some more comfort....Good Luck
Get a good clip on chromatic tuner.....I have tried them but the peterson is top of the line but very expensive, me I love my cherub WST550C because it has a certain function I like, not
accurate but it works for me...

Last edited:
Top Bottom