NUD: Ken Timms Style 0 soprano

whepper

Reaction score
Hi all,

This week I finally got the chance to snap up a Ken Timms Style 0 soprano on eBay. I've always been too late or it was just not exactly the one I wanted (sometimes they have golden tuners instead of silver or have a lighter colour).

Ken prices his ukuleles very attractively. They are real bargains. My only soprano was a Martin S1 ('the Mexican'), but the Ken Timms blows it out of the water. Richer, louder, deeper tones and it also does replicate the Martin 'jangle sound'. The Ken Timms has a domed back, something the Martin S1 doesn't have.

What first caught my eye when unboxing the ukulele was the finish. The french polish really makes a difference. What a beauty.

The looks, the sound: all a big wow!

PICT0002_zps3bbc72e8.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, whepper. She's a beauty.

It would be interesting to see how you rate the Timms against your (very reputable/impressive) stable.

Hmmmmm, HMS-style video comparison, perhaps?

His work is really amazing! I wish he would ship tenors to the US!

His work is really amazing! I wish he would ship tenors to the US!

Cool quote in your signature CJ.

(Sorry OP, not trying it hijack the thread)

Gefeliciteerd! Maybe the best modern mahogany soprano you can lay your hands on! Big wow!

Very nice, beautiful! I have always loved the look of a slot type bridge.

Congratulations whepper! So jealous! I think the dark stained ones are his sweetest looking. One of those would finish off my collection nicely! Enjoy her mate, she's a real beauty

Aloha Whepper,
Congrats on your great score., yes it's really hard to get one on ebay.......happy Strummings....

Congratulations!

HNUD

Congratulations on the new uke day! Those aren't easy to come by. I am glad you got one. Amazing uke!

You and I have extremely similar tastes. What a beauty. A darker one like mine.

I keep missing these ukes. This is the exact soprano I wanted. You are one lucky fellow!

Very sweet looking uke.

Try so Fremont Blackline hard tension on it....not only do they look sweet on a dark uke, more importantly, they sound fantastic (on mine).

Thanks everybody. I'm really pleased with it. I'm just focussing on soprano's and concerts now. Tenors don't work out that well for me (and I finally accepted that).

My tip to grab one: use the notification system of eBay... just set a notification on the following search: "Ken Timms" and one will pop up when posted. I also had a notification on his seller id.

It came with Aquila strings. They do pretty well on this uke, but I think I'll switch them to Martin M600's. Thanks for the Fremont Blackline tip. Never tried them before so I'll put them on my list of 'strings to be tested'. Any other suggestions?

And about the suggestion of putting some samples online of my current range of ukes: good idea! They're all quite different, so that will be a fun thing to do. I can also do a comparison between the Martin S1 and this uke.

What a lovely 'uke! Are you the one who bought it in under a minute and a half? Congratulations to you, and I hope you enjoy this beautiful instrument!

That was indeed me. I was just about to enter a meeting when I got notified. Told my colleagues I would be a few minutes late. Had some private matter. ;)

Top Bottom