Buying a uke

meisterk14

Reaction score
I have been looking for my own ukulele and have set my eyes on the Satin Pink Kohala Tiki Soprano ukulele. Are they any good? And if so, should I spend a little more for the tuner inside or just tune it myself?

Aloha and welcome. I haven't tried the Kohala but I have a Makala Dolphin which I really like.
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-dolphin-soprano-mk-s

Mike at Uke Republic will check it over before shipping and make sure it's good. BTW yellow is a great color too!

As far as tuners, there are apps and clip on tuners. The clip ons are much easier especially for a new learner.

Happy hunting and keep us posted!

I am not familiar with Kohala, but congratulations on your new ukulele! Hoping you have a blast with it!

The Kohala Tiki ukes are a pretty great option for the money. The ones with the built in tuner are probably worth it. The tuner works well and they aren't bad sounding either. They come with Aquila strings too. Make sure you get one that has been set up though. They usually need a little love right out of the box!

I have not tried the Kohala uke, Musicians Friend got them for good prices, but they don't come with a set up...YOU NEED A SET UP MOST TIME TO FINE TUNE THE INTONATION AND
HAVE THESE STARTER UKES PLAYABLE AND DECENT SOUNDING...BUY FROM A REPUTABLE UKULELE DEALER...YOU WON'T BE SORRY AND IT WILL GIVE THE BEST CHANCE TO BE HAPPY
AND ENJOY YOUR UKE AND KEEP PLAYING...ALSO BUY A CLIP ON CHROMATIC UKULELE TUNER...SNARK, INTELL, CHERUB WST550C .... HMS, MIM, MAINLAND UKE, UKE REPUBLIC ARE
AMAZING UU MEMBER DEALERS WHO DO SET UPS WITH EVER UKE...THEY MAY COST A BIT MORE, BUT AFTER THE SETUP, THEY ARE ACTUALLY CHEAPER OR COMPARABLE PRICED...
If you need further help just ask.....most times with theses starter ukes, slap on some quality strings from the factory ones and most times you will have a big difference in tones and feel
Good Luck and Happy Strummings.... here is the link to musicians friend... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ukuleles/kohala--new?isSuggestion=true

I have not tried the Kohala uke, Musicians Friend got them for good prices, but they don't come with a set up...YOU NEED A SET UP MOST TIME TO FINE TUNE THE INTONATION AND
HAVE THESE STARTER UKES PLAYABLE AND DECENT SOUNDING...BUY FROM A REPUTABLE UKULELE DEALER...YOU WON'T BE SORRY AND IT WILL GIVE THE BEST CHANCE TO BE HAPPY
AND ENJOY YOUR UKE AND KEEP PLAYING...ALSO BUY A CLIP ON CHROMATIC UKULELE TUNER...SNARK, INTELL, CHERUB WST550C .... HMS, MIM, MAINLAND UKE, UKE REPUBLIC ARE
AMAZING UU MEMBER DEALERS WHO DO SET UPS WITH EVER UKE...THEY MAY COST A BIT MORE, BUT AFTER THE SETUP, THEY ARE ACTUALLY CHEAPER OR COMPARABLE PRICED...
If you need further help just ask.....most times with theses starter ukes, slap on some quality strings from the factory ones and most times you will have a big difference in tones and feel
Good Luck and Happy Strummings.... here is the link to musicians friend... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ukuleles/kohala--new?isSuggestion=true

Woah, Stan! Caps! :p

I agree with vanflynn and mm stan, go with a setup. Kohala is cheap, but can you find them with setup? Uke Republic has cheap Makala Dolphins (and they come in pink too!) and they set it up so that you won't have much problems when you get it.

I'm a novice player and started on a "toy" Mahalo that we bought for my son. After getting a real uke that had a really good setup, I realized how important a properly setup ukulele is. No matter how expensive or inexpensive the instrument it, the setup is the key to easy playing and progressing faster musically. So, no matter what you buy, buy it with a great setup or take it to someone who can do a great setup after you receive it.

Top Bottom