Teak option

camac

Reaction score
I have just orderd a Stu-mac kit, for my first build, after reading a lot of you advising it's a good starting place.
Looking to the future, i have the option on some reasonable prices( actualy free) teak wood,my question is if i want to do a scratch build in the future can i use teak to build a neck of a ukulele,and or sides and back.

thanks

Good move on the Stew-Mac kit. As long as you have room to store it, it doesn't pay to turn down any free wood. If you don't use it (or like it) its just as easy to get rid of again. Teak is pretty darn heavy and usually quite plain. But it mills nicely and bends in a friendly fashion. You might want to get neck wood that's easier to carve. If you foresee more ukes in your future you'll enjoy having a variety of wood on hand. Teak is an unlikely place to start, but what the heck?

One of the very first ukes I built was teak with a spruce top. I still have it. It's over 25 years old and has held up very well. That's probably why it's used so much as brightwork on boats. It's oily so so gluing requires using a modified technique (much as you would with cocobolo). I built when, like you, I didn't know any better and it was all I had at the time. I agree with the others though that there are much better choices.

Toon and teak are the traditional woods used in sitar making, not sure how that would apply to ukulele though...

Toon and teak are the traditional woods used in sitar making, not sure how that would apply to ukulele though...

Toon is a wood that is grown locally here in Hawaii and is a very good wood for necks. I know of one builder who has used it for the entire body construction. It's worth trying IMO.

What about putting a finish on teak? Is it problematic?

Top Bottom