Album Recommendation: Ukulele Bossa Nova - Herb Ohta

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
I had to take a long journey yesterday - round tripping from the Hudson Valley, NY to Manchester, NH to take my son to school. When I have these trips, I buy some fresh music to make the trip easier.

This time, it was: Ukulele Bossa Nova - Herb Ohta.
http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Bossa-tribute-Antonio-Carlos/dp/B002OY7OXQ/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377434965&sr=301-1

Absolutely Brilliant and Beautiful.
Honestly, of all the ukulele music I have checked out to date in my short ukulele exploration life, this is the best of the best.
What a beautiful record, what exquisite playing, what gorgeous tone.
The art pours out of Herb's heart with every second of play.

If you like jazz, if you like mellow Bossa Nova music, if you like infinitely beautiful playing and tone, you have to have this album.

51aXhrL3y-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the head's up! Just bought the CD!

After you listen to it, please come back here and let us know how you think.

I haven't stopped listening. So beautiful and soothing. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's really the sweet spot
of what I find beautiful in music.

Soul Time in Hawaii and Stardust are also great Herb Ohta albums.

This CD reminds me of why I worship at the altar of Ohta-San! This is a true treasure trove for any instrumentalist. As with any CD, there are some songs I prefer over others, but still, this is an excellent album. Ohta-San's solos are tasteful and understated. I think one of the best examples occurs on, "Dindi." He plays and reinvents the melody without playing too much or going to far afield. My only complaint about this CD is that I wish the two of them (he and his guitar player, Nando Suan), would've hired a standup bass to give the songs some bottom. But this is a minor criticism on my part and moreover, I don't think Ohta-San cares what I think! :)

Good call. Nabbed it off iTunes

Several days have gone by, and I am still listening to this exclusively.

It's so beautiful. There are some lead segments that sound like some Pat Metheney music I listened to years ago.

Working from home today, and now it's filling the house. Really beautiful.

I wish I could thank Ohta-San.

Top Bottom