Takamine Ukulele? yes another guitar maker making ukes

MGM

Reaction score
Just got a Takamine ukulele which is a inexpensive but well made laminate ukulele in limited numbers...Seems everyone is making ukuleles..Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, Collings. Taylor, Santa Cruz, Breedlove....funny to read the descriptions on Ebay for the uke selling from 99.99 to 249.00 and depending on which listing some say its laminate and others solid wood.....Its a Laminate...lol

Interested to hear what you think of it. I have a Takamine guitar that I never learned to play well.

Just got a Takamine ukulele which is a inexpensive but well made laminate ukulele in limited numbers...Seems everyone is making ukuleles..Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, Collings. Taylor, Santa Cruz, Breedlove....funny to read the descriptions on Ebay for the uke selling from 99.99 to 249.00 and depending on which listing some say its laminate and others solid wood.....Its a Laminate...lol
Yeah i hate when they advertised solid top wood but does not mention if back and side is solid as well, my preference really is all solid wood....

Ya Mike but they aren't making anymore. We bought the last 19 they had and I gotta say, they sound and feel much better than I expected. They actually didn't overbuild them like some guitar makers. I did pics and video but vowed to my wife to not work this weekend. So I'll post a that and a bunch of stuff tomorrow.

I had a Takamine guitar from the 80's which had the flat head design (like Martin) and it was quite nice. I could shoot myself now for having sold to a friend. Takamine ukes are for sale in some shops in Bangkok, or at least they were still there in June. They were also quite nice and I would have bought the tenor (about 250USD if I remember correctly) if my wife hadn't been on me for my bad uas.

Yes if it doesn't say solid wood, most times it is a laminate...you always leave a little in there Mike, thank you for the heads up mongoose....

Here's a video of one of them up at HMS. Just from that video alone, this is definitely one of the best sounding ukes for under $100.

My Takamine soprano plays really well (lowered the action just a little bit myself), has good sustain and sounds full, woody, yet a little box-like (comes with the laminate and price I guess). It came with d'addario strings but with aquila's it tonally amazes me daily. I'd definitely recommend one!

Last edited:
Top Bottom