Problem with cheap strings on my CB Gitty cigar box kit

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
A set of strings came with my CB Gitty gigar box ukulele kit, and there was no brand name so I assumed that they were generic cheepies. I'm not nuts about how the uke sounds, so I decided to put my spare pair of concert aquila strings on. So I took off the strings and began to restring with the aquila strings and they were too short. Because of the size of the guitar box, I had to put the bridge down far on the body to comply with the correct measurement from the 12th fret. Can I get longer concert aquilas? I know the tenor strings are a different width and may not work with my concert sized cigar box uke. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it?

This seems very odd. If it's a concert scale uke, concert length strings should most assuredly fit.

Are you 100% sure that:
a) the strings you tried were concert scale?
b) you placed the bridge in the correct spot?

if I remember correctly, the scale length (i.e.: distance from nut to saddle) should be 15 inches for a concert. The size of the resonating chamber, whether is figure-eight, pineapple, cigar-box or whatever, will have absolutely no impact on the scale length.

If real concert length strings don't fit, it is not a concert scale instrument. And if the scale is not concert length and you have a concert scale fret-board, you have a problem.

Easiest would be tenor strings. If you want to stick to concert you can buy Worths. They come long enough for two sets of standard concert, so there will easily be enough string for your CBU. The new Planet Waves strings are also double length

I bet a tenor set would solve the problem nicely. Aquila doesn't make a longer length concert string.

Yeah, Aquila doesn't give you much string to play with.

I have always found my Aquila sets to have plenty of spare to get them on easily.

Did you cut your spare set of concert Aquilas before putting them on the CBG?

I've just restrung a concert with Aquilas. Had a good 4 - 6" spare. I had to coil the spare up as I didn't have a clipper handy being out of the house at the time.

Last edited:
The aquilas were on another uke previously and were probably cut once they were on. It was so long ago that I cannot remember. I will try the other strings mentioned. Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Top Bottom