Drinking the Electric Cool-Aid

allanr

Reaction score
Just wondering...

How many UU ukers include electric ukes in their stables, and what their/your preferences are?

Electric/acoustic or solid body?
Size of preferred electric?
Steel vs. synthetic strings?
Acoustic amp or electric amp?
Solid state or tubes?
Built in effects, pedals, or on board only?

My current electric favorite is my new Godin tenor running through a Line6 POD 2.0 into either a 5 watt Crate V5, or a 15 watt Fender Pro Junior (both tube amps). This rig was awesome with my Epiphone Mandobird IV, but I now prefer my Telecaster for steel string blues mayhem!

What I like about the POD is how easy it is to tweak - to get either a nice full acoustic sound or a distorted metal sound (and anything in between) by just turning a couple of knobs.

What about you?

I have been sportin' the Kamoa Evolve since they entered the wild. It has been great fun... but I decided that it is not a perfect fit, so I am planning my own build:

Semihollow Archtop
Steel Strings
Single Magnetic Pickup
Undersaddle Piezo Pickup'
Radiused Fretboard

We'll see how it goes.

Wow! That sounds like it will be amazing. Keep us posted on progress.

Acoustic CR with a D-TAR
Tenor
South coast smooth wound
Fishman Loudbox mini acoustic amp
Eventually, I want to add a mxr carbon copy pedal for when I want a darker sound, but I am very happy with my current set up. I would also like a Roland AC-33 for the looper and battery power. The looper would be fun to loop a chord progression and then solo into it for blues.

Aug82013 024.jpgAug82013 022.jpgAug82013 021.jpg

Ko Olau CE chambered solid body with LR Baggs pickup all the way. I love them so much I own two!@

I don't own a small amp, so I play it through my tweed Fender Deluxe tube amp.

With that baby hot as an anvil at volume 10, I'd shatter my neighbor's windows if I ever broke a string.

Last edited:
Risa concert ukulele-solid (aka Risa stick)

Mostly play it through micro amps;
Vox AC1Rhythm bass: has a good clean sound
Marshall MS2 & 4: sounds good on overdrive. The od is there but not too much in your face.

I have also tried it through my Laney 35W acoustic combo amp. Sounds great. It has a 4 band EQ and a bit if cut on bass and low mid gives best tone. The built in chorus is good but I didn't notice much effect with the built in reverb.

I have delay & chorus pedals and a Vox Stomplab IG multi effects pedal. The Vox pedal is great with a wide range of built in effects from clean with a touch reverb through various modulation effects to a range of overdrive & distortion. The various effects are easily accesses via knob where you can dial up various musical styles and two foot switches which enable you to step through the different types of effect for each style. You can also programme in your own settings, but I haven't explored that yet.

The Risa is definitely a different instrument from my other ukes and definitely expands possibilities. I love it. I've used it for a few videos for the Seasons of the Ukulele contests.

My current electric "uke" of choice is actually the Eastwood 4-string electric "tenor guitar" tuned DGBE like baritone uke.
It has single coil magnetic pickups and steel strings.

I run it with VOX AC4TV Tube amp.

Other than that, all my ukuleles are acoustic-electric.
I run them through acoustic or bass guitar amps.

If I had some spare money, I would buy a new Risa tenor uke-solid again.
My favourite electric ukulele.

Last edited:
So far my electric uke is my Ibenez electric guitar with a capo at the fifth fret. The tuning is GCEA on the top four strings. I have a 50w Line 6 Spider amp or I use a Line 6 UX1 as an interface to the computer. I can also use my acoustic ukes and a mic but, it just isn't the same. My interest in solid body electric ukes has just been peaked again.:)

Last edited:
My intro to electric ukes was my first uke, an electric-acoustic Lanikai 6-string. Initially, I used it occasionally with an amp I have, but the more I played, the more I liked the acoustic sound.

Then I got a solid body electric concert fairly cheaply, and used it with an amp modeler/effects machine, and things opened up again. I also liked the durability of the solid body. And I just picked up a Line 6 PocketPod, so I can take the whole rig in a compact gig bag and still not disturb the neighbors on trips. It's a different thing, but I like it too.

I have a few ukuleles with pickups, but I don't do much playing, using them... most of the times they sit and not getting used...unless you really need them for
gigging, parties or festival get togethers.....you may not need them...I prefer the natural accoustic sound best

I have a RISA LP Sunburst which I play through a VOX AC30, for pure electric. I also plug in a little VOX simulator for headphones and can play without bothering anyone in the house or them yelling "TURN THAT DOWN!" ;-)
RISA-LP-SERIES.jpg

For Acoustic electric one uke has a MiSi, the other a LR Baggs 5.0, and a BBand in another.
All my acoustic electrics I play through my Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Acoustic electrics have a really nice clean sound through the Fishman, no buzz or noise.

Top Bottom