Maybe i have a preamp problem?? Im not sure

one80

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i recently bought a LR Baggs Gigpro preamp, becuase i heard they we one of the best, and also because i have passive pickup in my uke and i needed to boost the power. Here is a link to show the preamp i bought:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_gigpro.shtml

When i plug the uke into the preamp and then into the amp i get a humm which is quite concerning. When i turn up the volume the humm increases. When i plug the uke straight into the amp the humm isnt there.
My questions are:
Is this natural when you use a preamp?
Has anyone had a problem like this in the past?
And/Or does anyone know how i can get rid of this anoying humm?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Sam

p.s here is the link to the site where i bought it:
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/Brand...ckups/L.R._Baggs_Gigpro_Universal_Preamp.html

Try some different guitar cables. Ric

Im using guitar cables, planet wave cables.

It's not normal. If you have a ground lift on your amp you might want to change the setting to see if it helps. Ricdoug is right witht the cable swap try too.

sorry if this is a newbie question but what do you mee
an by the ground lift setting?

Some amps have a switch that lifts the ground and some amps have a power switch that reverses the polarity. Most amps don't have such a switch. Sometimes you can flip the AC plug the opposite way in the socket (this won't work if the AC plug is polarized).

Even Planet Wave cables can go bad. If you have a spare guitar cable, of any quality, substitute it one at a time on the input side of the preamp and the output side of the preamp and see if the hum lowers.

Try different wall sockets in different rooms. The socket might have a loose connection to ground or have carbon-arcing or corrosion at the contacts creating a ground fault.

Are you using a valve (tube) or a solid state amp? Ric

When i plug the uke straight into the amp there is no hum, its only when i introduce the preamp the hum appears.

Unfourtunatley i havent got any more cables, i just bought the amp and two cables to go with it.

Im using a solid state amp i think:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-acx-900/69649

is it definatly something to do with the amp itself or is it likely to be the preamp?

Thanks
Sam

i have that problem too, but with using the zoom h4 as my preamp. but i noticed that if i use the adapter rather than batteries to power the h4, then the hum goes away. i also noticed that if i touch a piece of metal on my amp, the hum goes away. i believe this is what is called a "ground loop" problem. i haven't bothered to try to fix mine, but if i was going to, i would look at grounding my amp better, because when i touch my amp, i guess that is effectively grounding it. not sure what the best way to ground things out is....

are you running your baggs on batteries? can you try running it off an adapter? maybe that will fix it, like it does for my h4. also, try talking to baggs company. let me know what you find out, i want to figure out what to do with my problem too, because it's nice to use rechargeable batteries and have less wires running around.

i have that problem too, but with using the zoom h4 as my preamp. but i noticed that if i use the adapter rather than batteries to power the h4, then the hum goes away. i also noticed that if i touch a piece of metal on my amp, the hum goes away. i believe this is what is called a "ground loop" problem. i haven't bothered to try to fix mine, but if i was going to, i would look at grounding my amp better, because when i touch my amp, i guess that is effectively grounding it. not sure what the best way to ground things out is....

are you running your baggs on batteries? can you try running it off an adapter? maybe that will fix it, like it does for my h4. also, try talking to baggs company. let me know what you find out, i want to figure out what to do with my problem too, because it's nice to use rechargeable batteries and have less wires running around.

Good observation. You probably want to check and see if there is a circuit ground on your power supply and not a wire wrapped around a pipe in the ground.

when you say "humm" are you referring to the hum that a single coil pickup produces on an electric guitar when you set it to overdrive or distortion? or are you talking about acoustic feedback similar to what a microphone sounds like when it is picking up the sound from the speakers?

if it is the latter, and you cannot aleviate the problem using the "notch" control then try pressing the "invert" button on the side of the unit.

jiminy cricket! belay me last!

i just re-read your post and realized you were referring to the gig pro and not the para-acoustic DI. sorry.

Top Bottom