Warping wood below bridge?

Vonderlieth

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I know that this is a super basic question, but I spent some time googling and came up empty handed, so I thought I would ask the experts. I bought a luna guitar about six months ago, its got aquila strings on it. I was playing it today, and noticed that the bottom of the bridge is pulling the wood upwards pretty noticeably. I try to keep it out of the sun as much as possible, but it still gets quite a bit (especially around this time of year) because I live in a sunroom and I play a lot in my car. How problematic is this? It has a warranty on it, so should I take it in to Guitar Center? Or am I just worried about something thats totally normal and not a problem at all? THANK YOU in advance. I am a newbie to this forum and very glad to join the community!

Cheers,
V

Welcome to the forums!

In my opinion, you should go and swap it in for another A warping soundboard is never a good thing.

What you have is called a belly and its perfectly NORMAL. See this other thread I started on the subject,

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?84440-Please-lets-survey-just-how-flat-the-tops-are-on-your-ukulele-s

Now the question is, is the belly TOO big. Personally I think my ukulele's with the biggest bellies are the best sounding instruments but its all personal. Get someone to check it out but just know that a little bit of a belly on a ukulele/guitar is not automatically a fault.

Anthony

Last edited:
I've noticed that on a lot of the Luna Tattoo models. I've seen some that developed a pretty big belly, but I have not seen any problems come of it. Usually a little set up work is needed to massage the action a little bit, but the Luna's have a pretty light top, which is part of why they have a robust sound, and also most likely the source of the belly. As long as the action is still comfortable and the bridge is not releasing at all, I would say not a problem.

My solid mahogany Pono tenor developed a small bit of ripple below the bridge even though it has not been exposed to temperature or moisture extremes. It bothered me at first, but the sound is so good I got over it. :D

Just make sure that include a humidifier in your case and monitor the situation.

Top Bottom