I Played an Open Mic this Weekend.

GaryC1968

Reaction score
I played my first non-UWC open mic on Saturday and to my surprise, I was not the only ukulele player. It was funny because I was going to open with, "it's not a little guitar, it's a big ukulele". But, before I went on stage, a guy with a Mainland tenor sat down next to me. Out of 6 people that played, 2 of us played Mainland ukes.

You da man. Did you do originals?

Yeah, I played "Tale of Soda Town", "Juarez, Mexico", "Covering All My Bets" and "Beautiful Balloons". "Beautiful Balloons" got the best reception, probably because the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is coming up in just over a month. :)

SWEEEEEEEEETT! Kudos to you! As my old instructor used to say, "Playing the instrument isn't important. Having the guts to step onstage in front of others is."

Way to go Gary!

I'll have to take some printed sheets for the songs I haven't memorized next time. They went through the list a second time and I didn't really have anything else to play.

Congratulations Gary! I wish we had some open mics on Fridays around here also. The only one that I know of is Thursday nights and that's fifty miles away. We do have them with our Ukulele group that meets once a month, however. I'm glad that you are doing original songs. It seems that everything I've been doing lately is original. Way to go!

Congratulations Gary! I wish we had some open mics on Fridays around here also. The only one that I know of is Thursday nights and that's fifty miles away. We do have them with our Ukulele group that meets once a month, however. I'm glad that you are doing original songs. It seems that everything I've been doing lately is original. Way to go!

Thanks Gary! There are other open mics in Albuquerque, but they are during the week. This one is actually about 30 minutes away in the mountains east of Albuquerque.

Go Gary! What did you play on the open mic?

Bravo! I did my first open mic this week. I've only done some casual(in the park w/ sheet music) acoustic music circles. These are way less pressure than in front of a mic on stage at a bar (no sheet music safety net). I did a couple of covers, Pricetag by Jes.J ala The Wombats and Rock and Roll by Eric Hutchinson. Almost chickened out when several excellent musicians went before me, but then a beginner who forgot her lyrics went right before me so I gathered my courage and went up. All good, but without any experience, it's hard to not turn away sometimes from the mic and lose your vocal..oh well, next time. Good for you, keep going.. I know I will.

Bravo! I did my first open mic this week. I've only done some casual(in the park w/ sheet music) acoustic music circles. These are way less pressure than in front of a mic on stage at a bar (no sheet music safety net). I did a couple of covers, Pricetag by Jes.J ala The Wombats and Rock and Roll by Eric Hutchinson. Almost chickened out when several excellent musicians went before me, but then a beginner who forgot her lyrics went right before me so I gathered my courage and went up. All good, but without any experience, it's hard to not turn away sometimes from the mic and lose your vocal..oh well, next time. Good for you, keep going.. I know I will.

That's excellent bunny! I've never really done any open jams. I feel more intimidated trying to play along with others than to play in front of other people for some strange reason. I will definitely keep going to this open mic and work on getting to other open mics around town.

Good for you, Bunny! Next time I am in town I will have to come see you play!

Hey there, Lily. I went to the Whistle Stop in Safety Harbor with TBUS. Steve was there to back us up on UBass. It was a kind and forgiving crowd.

Top Bottom