Help Identifying a Uke!

jlabos

Reaction score
Hello, I've been trying to identify this ukulele but have had little success so far. No markings on the instrument itself at all. It has been in a storage locker that hasn't been opened since the 60s so I'm guessing it's from around that time or earlier. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Uke1.jpg

Hello and welcome to UU. That is a cool ukulele, I like it. The picture is a little hard to see when I open it. I'd like to see a picture of the back of the whole back of the ukulele as well. However, it appears to me to be much earlier than the 60's. I would place it more toward the 30's, mainland made.

I'd like to see a close up of the bridge as well. Likely, it was a Chicago made ukulele as it has that Regal body shape, but the headstock is a little more unique. A few more pictures might narrow it down.

Are you playing it? I bet it would sound pretty good.

I to thought Regal and pre WWII to start with but I'm not sure I do think its Pre WWII but the neck and headstock shape looks like some of the 30's German Ukuleles. Herdim or more likely Otwin? and the Germans rarely put any markings on their models that said this is my best guess at the moment
untitled.JPG
the one on the left has a pre 1926 Supertone label and the one on the right is the mystery one but Ive messed about with the contrast a bit to try and get more detail? More than this I'd need better photos including things like a close up of the bridge where the neck joins the body, front and back of the head stock all that sort of thing and if there is any history to the owner of the storage locker ie were they Germans fleeing from the Nazis?

Hey! Thanks for your responses, I haven't played it yet, it's in the mail to me as we speak. I'll post more pictures when it arrives. I think I may have found it, looks like you were right RyanMFT: chicago made Regal 1925-1930.

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2011/04/c1925-regal-mahoganypoplar-ukulele.html

My mom inherited a house from a friend who inherited it from her aunt and in the garage was a bunch of stuff in lockers and that uke was in there. Not bad for a free uke!

Top Bottom