Beginner lessons from a beginner: 1 week

vick2121

Reaction score
Should you just be starting out, here is some helpful information so you won't feel so alone:

1) If you find you are having trouble pressing strings correctly, try cutting your nails on the left hand
2) Yes, holding a uke can sometimes feel like holding a wet seal. No, I don't know why there's no velcro on the back
3) The knuckle pain goes away quickly
4) Yes, your fingers will bend that way. Eventually
5) No idea when you get feeling back in your left pointer finger
6) Yep, it's exactly like rubbing your head, patting your belly, and tickling your left ear with your right big toe
7) Yes, any note with a B in it sucks
8) If you have a belly, it's tougher still. Proper technique, you can't see the fret board. See where your fingers are going, and you are holding it wrong. Hopefully when you have more coordination in your left hand, you can swing it where it needs to go to play properly
9) Practice practice practice. Chords, form, technique, everything will come. Slowly. Eventually. I hope

But have you ever had this much fun sucking at anything? :)

Amen to that!

But yes it does get better.. Thanks for the smile, I can vouch for all these.

#5a. I am 4 months in and you will lose some feeling in your other 3 fingers yet. On the plus side you can touch hot things now :)

Oh.. Any chord with a B in it (including Barre)

Tip #34: Lots of short practice sessions (throughout the day) are better than a single long session. There are lots of short 'what else are you going to do with your time?' short practice opportunities: waiting for the water to boil, computer to boot, kid to tie his shoelaces, commercials to be over...

(I dunno why many-short is better than one-long. It's got something to do with how the brain needs downtime to properly digest learning something new. It's why you're 20% better at something when you start this morning than when you left off yesterday.)

And the plunk-plunk-plunk of a ukulele is ever so much better than the squeak and squeal of the beginner saxophone player.

A'men. So I'm something like three-ish months into playing - I'd have to look at the date. Anyway, wrist pain may happen, needed to take a few days off.. hate when that happens. Now I can get a little pattern of strumming in, but can't keep it going through a whole song. Can do all the basic cords, and remember the names. Do a few more cords, but don't know their names. Bar cords easier now, but the B flat... ugh! I'm finding out that the short cuts to cords in the end seem to slow down transitioning... I play everyday and my wife loves when I play super oldie songs from the 20s etc... Oh, I grew out my finger nails on the right hand it it's helped the strumming, but they get broke off eventually - playing now with more than the index finger. Can't pick to save my life.

Great thread.

Great insight into a new endeavor. :music:

Ha ha, love it! #8 - try laying down on the couch...works for me!!!!! :cool:

don't mean to hi-jack this thread, just trying to be helpful and supportive :)

please check out ukulelebootcamp in my signature below for more challenges.

keep uke'in',

keep uke'in',

"As a Software Engineer, I don't get asked to endorse many products . . . "
I'm currently translating this into Machete tuning. Recommended.

keep uke'in',

Hi-jack away. I'm a 2 month newbie and your boot camp is the best thing to happen to my uke playing!

appreciate the headsup

keep uke'in',

But, I'm way ahead of ya! Saw that poking around when I first found this site, instantly downloaded. I need all the help I can get! :)

Good suggestions!!!

Should you just be starting out, here is some helpful information so you won't feel so alone:

1) If you find you are having trouble pressing strings correctly, try cutting your nails on the left hand
2) Yes, holding a uke can sometimes feel like holding a wet seal. No, I don't know why there's no velcro on the back
3) The knuckle pain goes away quickly
4) Yes, your fingers will bend that way. Eventually
5) No idea when you get feeling back in your left pointer finger
6) Yep, it's exactly like rubbing your head, patting your belly, and tickling your left ear with your right big toe
7) Yes, any note with a B in it sucks
8) If you have a belly, it's tougher still. Proper technique, you can't see the fret board. See where your fingers are going, and you are holding it wrong. Hopefully when you have more coordination in your left hand, you can swing it where it needs to go to play properly
9) Practice practice practice. Chords, form, technique, everything will come. Slowly. Eventually. I hope

But have you ever had this much fun sucking at anything? :)

I have a strap on my tenor, because it slips a lot when I'm playing without it.

Wow, this is a tough group! I know I'm bad, but a strap??? :)

Seriously, too many people spend too much energy trying to stay with the tradition and hold a uke without a strap,
when the rest of the music world knows how helpful a strap is. Your body should not be spending a drop of energy
holding the uke. It should be spent on fretting and strumming freely.

I am a newbie too (5 days) and am wondering about a strap. It seems like it would be easier to make chord changes if I didn't have to worry about keeping a finger on the fretboard to keep the uke in position. At least it feels to me right now like this is necessary. What kind of strap would you recommend, or will holding the uke in position get easier soon? Perhaps I just need to be patient.

Top Bottom