Just bought a Kala SLNG...let the waiting begin

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
I went to my local music store and tried a Kala SLNG and loved it. I currently own another Kala concert and love that too, but wanted a soprano because every ukulele player should have the classic soprano. I did not end up buying it from the music store. I went online and checked the reviews on youtube, and amazon and the reviews were stellar. I found a music store named Austin Bazaar Inc. Their reviews were excellent as well. The local music store wanted $90.00 plus tax with no gig bag or tuner. Austin Bazaar offered the ukulele, gig bag and tuner for $99.99 with free shipping. I love that this wonderful instrument is so affordable for those of us who don't have alot to spend. Does anyone here have this ukulele and have you dealt with this particular company?

If you loved the one at the store, you should get that one. $10 and a gig bag isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

We have to remember that the local stores need some of our business or they wont stay in business. I always try to buy something during a visit and I bought all my new instruments from shops I visited. Just my $.02
ed.

Congratulations on your new uke!

I love/hate that feeling while you wait for your new treasure to arrive.

I've never bought from Austin Bazaar but they get good reviews. I've also found Kala ukuleles to be consistently nice sounding and well made. Excellent value for those just beginning the U-Journey.

I think this is a really nice little uke, and at a very good price. I went through the same process of looking at online reviews a while back, when my grandson (11) wanted a soprano with "more frets". The reviews seemed to be unusually good for this one, so I bought it, and couldn't be happier with it. Not only nicely built with good sound, but really looks classy with the high gloss finish. (I have mixed feelings about gloss finishes, as it does affect the sound, but nevertheless, was very happy with this one and it has the look and feel of a much pricier uke). So I think you made a good choice, there's not anything I've seen or heard to gripe about.

It has the added bonus of a little extra room for adult fingers...even on lower frets I have some hassles cramming fingers in for some chords on sopranos, let alone as you move up the neck.

I did see somewhere that it said soprano gig bags will fit, but none of the ones I had would, with the longer neck. I did get the Lanikai floral print soprano bag later, which along with the tribal print are my favorites, and it does fit fine.

Austin Bazaar sells a lot on ebay, and has been around a while, so I'm sure your fine there. There's a lot of pressure in these forums to buy from certain dealers, or perhaps locally, but we can't all buy from the same people or there won't be any competition. I bought mine from Honolulu Music Supply, and it was neat having it arrive and my grandson seeing the "from Hawaii" on the box, but I buy from lots of different places, wherever I decide looks like the best overall deal, all things considered.

Enjoy your new uke; I can't think of a better soprano anywhere near that price range that I'd have picked; my grandson loves it (and he uses most of the long neck too), and when I can get my hands on it I enjoy playing it too.

I think you made the right choice for what suits you best. I hope you love it once you get it. I do not have access to local shops, so all my purchases have been online. I try to find the best deals and finding an instrument with a case and tuner is a definite plus. I will probably start looking for a soprano next, as I do not have one (unless you count my son's blue Mahalo and it has serious setup/tone issues) so I look forward to your review.

To put it succinctly, those are awesome little ukes! I had one and traded it off. Jonesed so bad I had to get another.

you made the right choice. That Kala Model has a really high gloss, nice mohagany body, cream bindings and BWB rosette and purfling. it is actually under priced for how great it sounds compared to $200-$300 ukuleles in the kala line.
ordering online you wont get to try it but that model is very consistent so don't need to worry to much. you save money got a gigbag and tuner. great Job!

I ordered a guitar from Austin Bazaar maybe 4 or 5 years ago. They shipped the wrong guitar (right model but wrong finish). Their exchange policy (at that time anyway) was such that I would have to pay return shipping for the exchange. Maybe - I hope - they've fixed what's wrong in their shipping dept and improved their customer service. But I won't deal with them again. Hopefully your experience is better!!

I bought my Lanikai LU-21C starter uke from Austin Bazaar as part of a package deal. I got the uke, canvas hard case, tuner and a microfiber cloth for around $100 shipped. It arrived well-packaged and in as timely a manner as one could expect. The uke was what I would expect from a low-end uke. The action was set very high requiring near kung-fu grip for some chords and barring anything on the first two frets was nearly impossible if you wanted to get a decent sound. I had to take it into a guitar shop to get the action lowered. Fortunately, it only cost me $8.00 and it played like a breeze since. My experience with them was positive and I had no issues with them. That said, my step-up uke will be from a more uke-oriented business that does their own set-ups.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your encouragement. I have bought 2 ukuleles, strings, stands and and a tuner from that local music store so I have given them my business in the past.The Kala at the music store was very plain with no decoration whatsoever. I like to keep my tuners on all my ukes all the time so I don't go looking for it when I need it so there was a $30.00 savings and the gig bag would have cost at least $20.00. I am but a peasant and $50.00 for me is a utility bill. Due stay tuned for my review.

I've purchased several ukuleles from Austin Bazaar, including my Kala SLNG. Nothing but good things to say about this seller, Kala in general, and this instrument in particular. Good luck with the wait - which shouldn't be long, if my experiences with them are typical.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Awesome uke choice! I've been tempted to buy one ever since I first heard of it.

We have to remember that the local stores need some of our business or they wont stay in business. I always try to buy something during a visit and I bought all my new instruments from shops I visited. Just my $.02
ed.

I agree, when a local merchant has an item in stock and is close to an online price, I will support the local guy.
A big box store may not get my loyalty, but the independent shop will win every time. You might even find they will meet an online price if they can.
I am a big online buyer, all items not just instruments, but I try to support local shops whenever possible.

Congrats on the new uke, hope you will buy some accessories from the local guy who allowed you to demo his merchandise.

IMO you should have bought the one in the store...the one you get may not have that mojo that made you fall in love with the one you played! Always better to try before you buy!

IMO you should have bought the one in the store...the one you get may not have that mojo that made you fall in love with the one you played! Always better to try before you buy!

There is definitely wisdom in this thought but, to ease any fears, both of them that I've had came very well setup and pretty much identical in every way. It IS a factory-produced uke... but I think Kala has got it down pat.

Top Bottom