Humidifier question.

trowacat

Reaction score
If I live in Ontario, Canada would I need a humidifier? Also if I have a dehumidifier in my house?

Buy a digital hygrometer and put it in the room where you plan to keep the ukes. I bought this one from the hardware store: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-613-I...TF8&qid=1377647880&sr=8-1&keywords=Hygrometer

Watch it's low, high, and average for a few days. If the room stays between 40-60% most of the time, then you've probably nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on it as seasons change and if it gets too humid then you might want to move any laminate ukes (so the glue doesn't separate) or if it gets too dry, then move your solid ukes so they don't crack.

If you have a solid uke and plan on leaving it in a case most of the time, having a in-case humidifier is probably a safe bet, unless you're practically swimming around the house.

Hi from Minnesota where our seasons are close to yours. Summertime is no problem but once you close the windows and turn on the heat you need to monitor the humidity where yor uke sleeps. That means an in-case hydrometer. Many tobacco shops have them. Get a digital one like this -
http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-CALIB...650790&sr=8-1&keywords=caliber+iii+hygrometer

Elderly has one like that for a bit more but has a case clip
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/OGH2.htm

You can make a in case humidifier with water crystals from a garden shop
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...mer-moisture-crystals&highlight=Water+crystal

The hydrometer will tell you how much you need to humidify. Like Jon said, 40-60% is the desired range. Being around lower humidity for a bit is fine just not for a long period of time.(sort of like a sponge)

One last thing is keep the case away from windows that get direct sunlight. Quick temp changes are tough on wood and glue. A cold room with a bright morning sun shining on a black case can cause joint separations with the rapid heating.

Sorry if i went on too much, enjoy your uke. It can help you get through a cold winter day!

Last edited:
A caution: I own about 8 of those exact same Acu-Rite hygrometers. They vary by as much as 8% each. That is to say, I put all eight next to one another on the kitchen table. I checked the next day, and they ranged from 1% to 8% RH different from one another. I did this a couple times in other rooms...the ones that were higher were always higher, lower always lower. And since there's not way to calibrate those types, I actually calculated an average and then put a sticker on each, like +3 to mean it is generally 3 degrees below the average of the eight.

Take them with a slight grain of salt. (and cannot calibrate these with salt). Some would say, well, 8% humidity off isn't much. Well, if it was reading 35% you'd like say, "eh, it's okay". If it read 27%, you'd take your uke in the shower room for a steam bath. lo;l

Last edited:
A caution: I own about 8 of those exact same Acu-Rite hygrometers. They vary by as much as 8% each. That is to say, I put all eight next to one another on the kitchen table. I checked the next day, and they ranged from 1% to 8% RH different from one another. I did this a couple times in other rooms...the ones that were higher were always higher, lower always lower. And since there's not way to calibrate those types, I actually calculated an average and then put a sticker on each, like +3 to mean it is generally 3 degrees below the average of the eight.

Take them with a slight grain of salt. (and cannot calibrate these with salt). Some would say, well, 8% humidity off isn't much. Well, if it was reading 35% you'd like say, "eh, it's okay". If it read 27%, you'd take your uke in the shower room for a steam bath. lo;l

I own three of these and I also noted a difference between them. Not as much as your meters but still they were off from each other by as much as 3%. Guess you get what you pay for. :)

Also I found this on the Home Depot site: "Store Exclusive. This item is available for purchase in select stores only"

So they may or may not be available in Canada.

If I live in Ontario, Canada would I need a humidifier? Also if I have a dehumidifier in my house?

I live in Toronto. The short answer is yes. You will probably only need it in the winter though.

As others have said, buy hygrometers and keep them around the house - in any room in which a uke/guitar is stored.

Soundhole humidifiers and in-case humidifiers should be avoided. The risk of mishap is very high and can be tragic to your instruments. It is much better to humidify the room that your instruments are kept in - or your whole house, which in Ontario is often quite easy as our central air and forced air furnaces have built in humidifiers, that can be supplemented by portable humidifiers if needed.

Soundhole humidifiers and in-case humidifiers should be avoided. The risk of mishap is very high and can be tragic to your instruments.

First I've heard this. Allan can you explain the risk please. I agree it's ideal if one can have a music room with optimum humidity but I expect that is the exception rather than the norm.

Also, on hygrometers: check that they respond to changes by taking into a steamy bathroom. They should read 85-90% or higher. In addition to being off calibration, many are "stuck" reading within a very narrow range.

Top Bottom