Which way do you do fingering? No right or wrong here :)

Which way do you do fingering?

• Only thumb to pick all four strings

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Only thumb & index finger to pick all four strings

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Thumb to pick 4th & 3rd, index finger to pick 2nd, and middle finger to pick 1st

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Thumb to pick 4th, index finger to pick 3rd, middle finger to pick 2nd, and ring finger to pick 1st

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Do you have your own way to do fingering? Do you like to share?

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Do you never do fingering?

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Hammond

Reaction score
Which way do you do fingering? No right or wrong way in this post, we should do any way as long it is comfortable.:)

1. Do you use only thumb to pick all four strings?
2. Do you use only thumb & index finger to pick all four strings?
3. Do you use thumb to pick 4th & 3rd string, index finger to pick 2nd string, and middle finger to pick 1st string?
4. Do you use thumb to pick 4th string, index finger to pick 3rd string, middle finger to pick 2nd string, and ring finger to pick 1st string?
5. Do you have your own way to do fingering? Do you like to share?

I mainly do no.3, when I was in the lesson the tutor teach with no.4 way.

Happy sharing:)

1,2,4 depends on what I am playing.

Trying to break the longtime habit of thumb to pick 4th & 3rd string, index finger to pick 2nd string, and middle finger to pick 1st string - because I've recently learned that these constraints are actually making some songs harder (especially those with a faster tempo). And believe me, this is a hard habit to break!

Ummm...

I'm with Rick, except about the flat pick part... I've never really been able to hold onto a pick for a whole song...

But I except the real answer is "I haven't the faintest idea - I just play."

-Kurt​

I use a kerosene-driven circular saw.

Seriously, though, I do whatever works. It's the result that counts, not the means of achieving that end.

It's my right hand I don't get - it works fine, but I just don't really know how it does it - weird :)

I voted for 5) since this fits best for me. :)

If I play a chord based song with only a few notes I usually pick the single notes with my thumb, too, like you see hier:
Thumb Strumming and Picking

If I play a song without strumming I usually pick with my thumb (mostly on strings 3 and 4) and three fingers (no fixed assignment):
Finger Picking

And of course there are many mixing versions, so I think it really depends on the song and the style you want to play the song. But overall, I personally prefer the "real" picking over the thumb based. ;)

Cheers,
Linho

I came to the uke as a classical guitarist, and generally use the same fingerpicking technique with thumb, index, middle and ring fingers.

While sometimes it may just work out that way on uke, I think it's wrong to assign one finger per string. With CG you have six strings and can't do this.

There are many instances where two (or more) successive notes are plucked on the same string, and using the same finger for those notes is not optimally efficient.

3. and 4. depending on the "roll" feel I want. For a triplet feel or a nice sounding roll, I will use 3. and for a four note pattern, I'll use all but the pinky.

Thank you all for the sharing!:)
It's my bad, didn't add multi-option. It gave me some ideas. I wish I can train as many fingering technique as I can. A habit is hard to change, but it is not unchangeable. Once paid the effort, the result is deserved.

It is all good! Keep both feet on the wheel and do what makes you happy.

Top Bottom