Hooray for broken ukes.

Link

Reaction score
So I finally got my new Worth strings in the mail yesterday. But I've been hesitant to remove the old ones because the C string tuner was so terrible, that I was afraid it wouldn't survive a string change. I was gonna wait until I get my tax return incase it broke ad I had to get a new Uke, but I'm impatient.

So I take my old strings off, and the nut pops off in two pieces!! Haha. This is just a cheapie Mitchell MU-70 uke from Guitar Center, so I know it would eventually break. But I thought it'd be the tuner. I'm okay with all this, not even interested in fixing the thing, because this gives me even more motivation to go out and get a Tenor ukulele. Probably be a relatively easy fix with some glue, or just order a new nut if possible, but whatever.

Hoosierhiver's "Mainland Ukes" look really good, so I'm going to get one with my tax return, if there's enough after paying bills. May have to settle for like a Makala from MGM though, which would be fine.

I know we've all had uke problems before, but has anyone loosened their string and their nut just falls off? Haha it was so surprising. I'm just glad this wasn't like a Koaloha or something... then I would not be this positive about it. Then again, if it were something that good then this wouldnt have happened... haha.

Any other recommendations in the 150-200 range for a tenor? There's no Uke shop here so I have to go off of word of mouth if I can't get a Mainland Uke.

Last edited:
Ive got this uke, Havent had problems with the nut at all, you could probably bring it back to (Im guessing you got it at GC) them, and theyd exchange it.

Last edited:
Haha. My bad. LMAO.

Anyone have any reccomendations for a tenor in the $100-$200 range? I've been looking alot and Kala seems like the best in the price range.

Have you contacted MGM? Great selection in all price ranges . . .

When changing strings....

...Keep one hand on your nuts at all times.

Last edited:
KALA KA-STE Sitka spruce Tenor Ukulele would get my recommendation. I've had mine which I bought from MGM last summer and it is my favorite uke ever. Mike does a great job setting up all of his instruments and is just a joy to do business with. Have fun...uke buying is truly like anticipating Christmas morning...very exciting...or maybe that's just me.
Pete

Haha, I love you guys! I'll remember the sound advice about my hands and my nuts and all that. About contacting MGM... I figured he is probably a busy fellow, being the pimp of the Ukulele as dach put it in Yook Minutes 2. So I thought I'd just ask you guys.

that_pete_guy, it's definitely not just you, haha. Thanks for the recommendation. I've decided though... if I save up that much, then I'll just save more in order to support my buddy hoosierhiver, and also because Mainland Ukes look amazing.

I think my next uke(after this) will be that Kala, with the pickup. It's what tsud123 plays from the looks of it, and judging on his vids it sounds great, plus I'll need the pickup someday.

hobgoblin, I tried to take it to GC today on your advice.. they won't take it back. This GC doesn't even sell Ukes anymore. If I had to guess, I'd say the musician to non-musician ration in Utah is the worst in the country... things like Ukes really don't fly around here. Guitars barely sell.

...Sorry for the long post..

I had a nut not glued in, unbeknownst to me when I was switching out strings. I almost didn't find the thing. It doesn't seem to affect anything once the strings are on, but it does make restringing just that more annoying. I got the nut glued on when I took it in to a luthier for some other work though.

You could just get a new nut and fix it... or use it as excuse for a new uke. ;)

I had a nut not glued in, unbeknownst to me when I was switching out strings. I almost didn't find the thing. It doesn't seem to affect anything once the strings are on, but it does make restringing just that more annoying. ...

I've never taken all my strings off. I usually do them one at a time. I guess when you take them all off, it gives you a chance to oil your fretboard.

I had a uke where the saddle fell off as it's supposed to. It was a plastic saddle and I just didn't see it fall. Somehow, I failed to notice when stringing it. With those new strings on, it just sounded spectacular. Then I stepped on the saddle. I put it back in, and the uke didn't sound so hot anymore, so.. yeah. I don't think that should work on a decent uke, but it did on this one.

As far as tenors go, I love my Kala. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

But, I'm eying the Mainland Ukes for my next purchase. (don't tell my husband!)

Either Mike is a good choice :)

on my lanikai, the first time the strings got changed all the strings were taken off at once.

yeah i didnt change my strings the first time, i had the guy at Island Bazar in Huntington do it cause i was a noob :) but when he did it i was worried that like the tension on the neck or something would get warped, also about the nut falling off or just something getting out of wack when all the strings got taken off, but it seems to be just fine.

i needa get new strings cause i have this random gunk on my A string that just wont come off no matter how much i like scrape it, but its hard to find warm strings. i think im just going to get a new tenor instead but needa save up caus ei just bought new skis :)

but i am wondering (and this might not be the post to do it but i see a lot of 1337 people have probably subscribed to this thread that im going to ask)

is it better to change the strings one at a time or all at once? does it make a difference on different quality of ukes? cause i know on my accoustic Bass guitar you HAVE to do them one at a time.

Thank you, and Link... srry to hear about your nut, but i feel like you can still live a perfectly normal life without it hehe

PS WOW THIS IS MY 100TH POST!!!!!!

Last edited:
on my lanikai, the first time the strings got changed all the strings were taken off at once.

yeah i didnt change my strings the first time, i had the guy at Island Bazar in Huntington do it cause i was a noob :) but when he did it i was worried that like the tension on the neck or something would get warped, also about the nut falling off or just something getting out of wack when all the strings got taken off, but it seems to be just fine.

i needa get new strings cause i have this random gunk on my A string that just wont come off no matter how much i like scrape it, but its hard to find warm strings. i think im just going to get a new tenor instead but needa save up caus ei just bought new skis :)

but i am wondering (and this might not be the post to do it but i see a lot of 1337 people have probably subscribed to this thread that im going to ask)

is it better to change the strings one at a time or all at once? does it make a difference on different quality of ukes? cause i know on my accoustic Bass guitar you HAVE to do them one at a time.

Thank you, and Link... srry to hear about your nut, but i feel like you can still live a perfectly normal life without it hehe

PS WOW THIS IS MY 100TH POST!!!!!!

happy 100th! welcome to the senior club^^

I don't really know about that string thing, I changed my strings only once so far and changed them all together (but still one after another, so even if the nut would've been loose it couldn't fall off).

Top Bottom