PDA

View Full Version : order Kamaka Special Tenor

Mistyface
08-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Hello! everyone!
i am ordering Kamaka Special Tenor now and i am waiting for thie new toys coming:p so exciting!

P.S. Any Kamaka user in here? we can share our opinion for Kamaka.^^

RyanMFT
08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Good for you, I hope your Kamaka is wonderful.

My Kamaka is about 80 years old so it is pretty different from yours!

hawaii 50
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I have a HF3 special...and the sound is very nice!

say hello to Tekla at Kamaka for me...she is the lead person of the sales team there...pretty sure she worked with you...

congratulations on your new Kamaka

Mistyface
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Ryan~80 years old ??Wooo~~~what is your age?:o

This is my first Tenor, actually, i feel it is expensive as i can order a low grade "Martin" guitar already.
As i don't like to change my instrument always...so i decide to order a better and play life long^^

Mistyface
08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
hawaii: Yes! I communicate with Tekla (helpful person!)
i hope i can visit Hawaii in coming 2-3 years~so i can go to Kamaka factory^^

hawaii 50
08-27-2013, 07:45 PM
hawaii: Yes! I communicate with Tekla (helpful person!)
i hope i can visit Hawaii in coming 2-3 years~so i can go to Kamaka factory^^

Tell Tekla Len says hello...she will get a big kick out of it!...
she is very helpful and knows a lot about the Kamaka ukes...

many members on the UU from Hong Kong...have fun!

Hammond
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Congratulation!:cheers: I believe the Kamaka will bring you much joy of playing:)

Newportlocal
08-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Congratulations that will be a fantastic ukulele. Hope you post pics when you get it.

mm stan
08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Aloha Mistyface,
I used to collect and play mostly kamakas and went through tons of them...still have a few though...congrats on your new kamaka purchase....isn't it exciting...
Yes as Hawaii 5-0 said, there's a few hong kong members here....what district are you from...yes let us know when you get it and post pictures....:)

Mistyface
08-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Yes! i think so~~i have asked her too many questions already^^
but i think the most disappointed thing is that Kamaka dont accept binding now. and Tekla said it is for Custom made before..

In HK, Ukulele become more popular~~~but it seems there are no professional player yet.

Mistyface
08-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Hammond: i will find you to play with i get it!
Newportallocal: Yea! i am so hurry to get this Tenor now^^
mm stan: Actually, i search my information to see what brand i should get and Kamaka is long History brand...so i think it is no doubt they have many experience on it.
i try one in HK music store and i like its tone. i think all K brand have much better tone than other brand name. isn't it?

Similar idea, for guitar, i will get Fender, Martin and Gibson

***Daniel Ho will have concert in HK soon and i will go to see his playing^^

kvehe
08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
That's very exciting news! Can't wait to see pictures!

mm stan
08-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Aloha Misty....
Wish you try before you buy...because all ukuleles have their own voice, even the same brand and model can sound real different...because of the variations in the building process...
Even after receiving it from the factory, I send it to HMS and get their wonderful setup just to be sure you get it sounding right and the best action for your comfort and playability...
Get it done all one time before it leaves Hawaii..... maybe new strings like the oasis that comes out next month from strings by mail too....yes upgrade the factory strings for the best
preformance...you can get oasis from strings by mail....

Hammond: i will find you to play with i get it!
Newportallocal: Yea! i am so hurry to get this Tenor now^^
mm stan: Actually, i search my information to see what brand i should get and Kamaka is long History brand...so i think it is no doubt they have many experience on it.
i try one in HK music store and i like its tone. i think all K brand have much better tone than other brand name. isn't it?

Similar idea, for guitar, i will get Fender, Martin and Gibson

***Daniel Ho will have concert in HK soon and i will go to see his playing^^

Skinny Money McGee
08-28-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm envious. Even though I enjoy the concert scale the most, would like to collect the entire line of Kamaka instruments some day. Your right, the Kamaka family and crew are a great group of folks. I want to visit the factory some day too.

p.s.
Stan has good advise

Ukejenny
08-28-2013, 03:20 AM
Congratulations on a wonderful instrument! Can't wait to see it!

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Thx! Stan~

But what can i do? As i just order it directly from Kamaka...so i can't do any testing~~
or i need to have a setup in the local music store?
Or i need to change the Kamaka Orginal string immediately? i have heard about that the sound will be totally different if i use other breand 's string~

Aloha Misty....
Wish you try before you buy...because all ukuleles have their own voice, even the same brand and model can sound real different...because of the variations in the building process...
Even after receiving it from the factory, I send it to HMS and get their wonderful setup just to be sure you get it sounding right and the best action for your comfort and playability...
Get it done all one time before it leaves Hawaii..... maybe new strings like the oasis that comes out next month from strings by mail too....yes upgrade the factory strings for the best
preformance...you can get oasis from strings by mail....

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 05:29 AM
I can't get any instument again in these 2 years after this Kamaka Tenor:p

I'm envious. Even though I enjoy the concert scale the most, would like to collect the entire line of Kamaka instruments some day. Your right, the Kamaka family and crew are a great group of folks. I want to visit the factory some day too.

p.s.
Stan has good advise

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Congratulations on a wonderful instrument! Can't wait to see it!

im waiting for it too^^

Mandarb
08-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Thx! Stan~

But what can i do? As i just order it directly from Kamaka...so i can't do any testing~~
Or i need to change the Kamaka Orginal string immediately? i have heard about that the sound will be totally different if i use other breand 's string~

The setup on your Kamaka should be fine directly from Kamaka - mine was. Strings are personal preference - just play what sounds good to you and what you enjoy. Congrats on the Kamaka - I look forward to some pics.

hawaii 50
08-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Thx! Stan~

Do not worry about the setup..It will be good...Kamaka sets up their ukes nice....
most people change the Kamaka strings right way without giving them a chance...try them for awhile and then decide...if you want to change strings,I know you can get Worths in Hong Kong..many people say they work good on the Kamaka's...but I like Oasis the best...after Sept 1 you can order from Strings by Mail...
btw are you setting up the uke with a LowG?

do not worry what others say...you made a good choice...have fun and when you come to Hawaii you will be ready to try other ukes....

keep on strumming!

Dan Uke
08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey Misty

You haven't shared with us the specs? What upgrades did you do?

RyanMFT
08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Ryan~80 years old ??Wooo~~~what is your age?:o

Ha, I am middle aged....it is just that all my ukuleles are old!

I have no doubt you will LOVE your Kamaka. It will play and sound great!

Toucan Mango
08-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Kamaka user here, you made a great choice! Hope to see pics when you receive it.

powerpuffs
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm from Hong Kong too :) I actually am an ukulele instructor at UkeHK (I'm sure you know where that is) nice to meet you

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Hello! Nice to meet you^^
I have been UkeHK and your colleague 阿峰have introduce your ukulele to me.
and i get some books in there. Agood place for Ukulele.

I have tried most of Hawaii made Tenor there so that why i decide to order Kamaka Tenor now.

Will you go to Daniel Ho concert? i think i will visit UkeHK again when the ticket is arrived.

I'm from Hong Kong too :) I actually am an ukulele instructor at UkeHK (I'm sure you know where that is) nice to meet you

Hammond
08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow, I am a learner and regular visitor at UkeHK:p

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
I like vintage instrument!!!
i have thought to get a vintage Martin in eBAY~

Ha, I am middle aged....it is just that all my ukuleles are old!

I have no doubt you will LOVE your Kamaka. It will play and sound great!

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Maybe powerpuff is your teacher^^

Wow, I am a learner at UkeHK:p

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 11:04 PM
hi nongdam~

Sure! i will share~^^

Actually, i update all the things!
the first one is to update the KOA to 4A~

Hey Misty

You haven't shared with us the specs? What upgrades did you do?

mm stan
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Aloha Mistyface,
I'd call MGM at HMS and ask him if he can pick up your uke...he probally goes there at least twice a week to pick up ukes...and let kamaka know he is picking it up for you
Let him make sure that your uke is best it can be in the intonation, action and frets...of course you will pay for it but you will be happy knowing your ukulele traveled across
the globe and you wont be sending it back and have minor issues with it....being completely satisfied,...it is probally going from mike to andrew to his set up team..hope joel
@Len, WOW..she needs to be sure, she lives on the other side of the globe, a second opinion is good insurance....easy for you to say, you live here on the island.... shame on you, you should know better...

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 11:14 PM
So i think i will give Kamaka string a Chance this time~ As i need sth to compare with^^
Is Oasis a new brand string? Where is the manufacturing location?

I choose High G now. the reason behind is that i think this is the unique tuning for Ukulele.
If i use low G, actually, the sound will be similar to my guitar... and i have enough guitar fret idea already.
i want to refresh my music idea through playing a different instrument.

Do not worry about the setup..It will be good...Kamaka sets up their ukes nice....
most people change the Kamaka strings right way without giving them a chance...try them for awhile and then decide...if you want to change strings,I know you can get Worths in Hong Kong..many people say they work good on the Kamaka's...but I like Oasis the best...after Sept 1 you can order from Strings by Mail...
btw are you setting up the uke with a LowG?

do not worry what others say...you made a good choice...have fun and when you come to Hawaii you will be ready to try other ukes....

keep on strumming!

blue_knight_usa
08-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Good for you, I hope your Kamaka is wonderful.

My Kamaka is about 80 years old so it is pretty different from yours!

Vintage snob!!! :-)

hawaii 50
08-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Aloha Mistyface,
I'd call MGM at HMS and ask him if he can pick up your uke...he probally goes there at least twice a week to pick up ukes...and let kamaka know he is picking it up for you
Let him make sure that your uke is best it can be in the intonation, action and frets...of course you will pay for it but you will be happy knowing your ukulele traveled across
the globe and you wont be sending it back and have minor issues with it....being completely satisfied,...it is probally going from mike to andrew to his set up team..hope joel
@Len, WOW..she needs to be sure, she lives on the other side of the globe, a second opinion is good insurance....easy for you to say, you live here on the island.... shame on you, you should know better...

Stan

I have the exact model HF3 special...the action is perfect...and the intonation is good...
if you set up everything for Mistyface with Mike and Andrew I have no problems....

but Mistyface does not live on the Island you do...I don't get your point...

mm stan
08-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Aloha Len,
Just because you got your HF3 and the action and intonation was perfect does not mean every one will be...that's all... and she lives in Hong Kong, and it's not hawaii, it is way too far to send back and get fixed and it will take time and more money to do so. might as well make sure and get it right the first time with a second opinion while she has her strings changed that's all....:)
No disrespect to kamaka or any other company, I would do that for any premimum ukulele bought and sent overseas...it's just crazy not to on a expensive ukulele.....

coolkayaker1
08-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Now now, boys. Mistyface can tune up her new uke and have it sound like rubbish and pull her hair out just like the rest of us.

peanuts56
08-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Just got my tenor 2 days ago. I dealt mostly with Yukari, she's a really nice person and even remembered my wife and I visiting the shop. We were visiting my wife's family on Oahu in July and took the tour.Fred Kamaka is a hoot and in remarkable shape for 88.
I live in Conn. and the UPS driver asked me what was in the package. When I told him he got all excited and said he plays and has two concert ukes at home.
The instrument is gorgeous and it sounds and plays great. I have been busy the last two days and have not been able to spend as much time with it as I want. I will definitely will be spending a lot of time with it this weekend.
Best of luck with your Kamaka when you get it. I was like a little kid waiting for Santa on the delivery date!

Sunshine Ukulele
09-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Yes... Getting more members now... haha

Trinimon
09-05-2013, 04:11 AM
So when does it arrive? Looking forward to the pics. I love my HF3-Special. :)

Mistyface
10-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Here is the specification:59526

Mistyface
10-04-2013, 07:31 PM
So when does it arrive? Looking forward to the pics. I love my HF3-Special. :)

I don't know too! I think should be arrived in Dec^^

powerpuffs
04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
did your uke ever arrive?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
......but it seems there are no professional player yet.

Maybe you can be the first! :) Kamaka has a long history of building fine ukuleles. Every player needs at least one Kamaka.

dkcrown
04-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Maybe you can be the first! :) Kamaka has a long history of building fine ukuleles. Every player needs at least one Kamaka.

I couldn't agree more Chuck.

pixiepurls
04-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Thx! Stan~

I personally would not change the strings right away, I mean you spend that much on something they are not going to give you bad sounding strings... they are going to put on it what they think makes their ukulele's sound good. I would leave the strings on it and then later to change, then you can say for sure which you prefer. Just my humble opinion :)