Worth CT for a old Martin ??

srpompon

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a old Martin soprano w aquilas strings now and in all my other ukes i use fluorocarbon strings, i note the fluos have more tension than the aquilas, is ok to put fluos in my martin?

thanks!!

Ivan

Does the T in CT stand for tenor?

yea.... i live to far and when i order i ask for tenor ones and cut the strings because i have 5 tenors and only 2 sopranos, but the question is about fluos or not fluos...

I use Martin m600 strings on my Martins . I tried Aquila's but didnt like them on the Martin.

great... i have some m600 here also... thanks!!!!!!! i hate the thickness of the aquilas

Yes tenor stings on a martin is a definete no no...more tension.... go with the martin M600 strings...or Oasis..

I've found that different instruments respond differently to different strings. So while I've been tempted to try to find a one size fits all string solution, I've learned to use a "right tool for the job" approach instead. To me, the results are worth it. Aquila Reds on the concerts. Tenor fluorocarbons with low G on the tenor. Fluorocarbon with high g on the soprano.

stan,

tenor strings have differences from soprano strings (same model/manufacturer) or only the length?

Yes tenor stings on a martin is a definete no no...more tension.... go with the martin M600 strings...or Oasis..

Allan,

whit the aquilas the martin sound really nice, but i dont like the "touch"....

in your ub1 you have fluos?

I've found that different instruments respond differently to different strings. So while I've been tempted to try to find a one size fits all string solution, I've learned to use a "right tool for the job" approach instead. To me, the results are worth it. Aquila Reds on the concerts. Tenor fluorocarbons with low G on the tenor. Fluorocarbon with high g on the soprano.

I have Martin M600s on two of my vintage Martin sopranos, and Worth Browns on the other. I have Worth Clears on my Kiwaya KTS-7. I really like all of those strings. I think the M600s sound really nice on Martins.

I realize this flies in the face of common sense, but wouldn't tenor strings be LOWER tension?

They're designed to be at X tension on a longer Tenor scale length at a certain note. If they are tuned to that same note on a shorter soprano scale length, would they not then be at a lower tension ?
Not that I would risk the integrity of my martins to prove my point, and looking at the gauges, it doesn't really make sense, but

worth CB gauges - high tension concert soprano:String gauges are 0205 (.52mm), 0260 (.66mm), 0291 (.74mm), 0224 (.57mm). Made in Japan.

Worth BM: medium tension, String gauges are .0205"(.52mm), . 0260"(.66mm), .0291"(.74mm) .0224"(.57mm). Made in Japan.

Worth CT gauges: String gauges are .0224"(.57mm), .0260"(.66mm), .0291"(.74m m) .0244"(.62mm). Made in Japan.

so the A and G are a little fatter in the tenor set, but not by that much..I suspect they could be used on a soprano.

And yes, Martin 600s are great on my Martin ukes.

I got my Martin 0 recently and believed that they would improve its sound, so I took the Oasis strings off and put Martins. Didn't like it at all, too overpowering, specially tuned to D. The Oasis strings sounded great though. You can get it on Strings By Mail with a cheap shipping to Brazil (must be cheap too to Argentina) and the strings are long enough to 2 ukes.

I'm not so sure that flourocarbons are higher tension than Aquilas. Here's Gordon from Mya Moe Ukes chart on string tension. http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/string details.html

If he's correct, flourocarbons aren't higher tension than aquilas, but they higher tension than nylon.

Doug

Top Bottom