Fret board

Les Corley

Reaction score
I purchased 2 fretboards from a company in Hawaii, !7" scale & I have lost the invoice & don't know the distance to the saddle & I can't remember the name of the company. Can anyone jog my memory. Thanks.

If the frets are indeed cut for exactly a 17" scale the saddle will be 17" plus a bit for compensation. I add about 2.5mm.
The best way to check for sure is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret, double that and then add compensation.

Understanding how fret spacing, scale and compensation relate is vitally important for fretted instrument building.

If the frets are indeed cut for exactly a 17" scale the saddle will be 17" plus a bit for compensation. I add about 2.5mm.
The best way to check for sure is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret, double that and then add compensation.

Understanding how fret spacing, scale and compensation relate is vitally important for fretted instrument building.

I got them from pegasus & the strange thing is I compared them to SM tenor kit fret board & the slots were cut different,longer fret board than Smacs. Is that so you can allow for less compensation ?

Don't compare your fret boards to others, that makes no difference. Use the fret boards you have and do what everyone else here has told you. Try not to make it harder than it really is.

Top Bottom