New Soprano Uke by David Newton, Cuban & Brazilian

David Newton

Reaction score
SOLD, thank you!

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen.
For sale, including nylon covered hard-foam case, shipping to USA only, extra.

The body size of this uke is very close to a Martin-0 Soprano scale.

The body is made from Cuban Mahogany, a hurricane downed tree in Florida gave it up. It Features a highly figured back & head plate. This wood makes a great tone, the golden color "moves" as the light plays on the French polished shellac finish.
Honduras Mahogany neck with a Brazilian Rosewood fret board, 1-7/16" nut, tiny pearl dot side markers, bone nut & Ebony saddle.
Waverly friction tuners with Koa wood buttons work very well.
Spruce X-bracing & all hot-hide-glue construction.

crotz%201.jpg

crotz%202.jpg

crotz%203.jpg

crotz%204.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful instrument! :) And so far out of reach of us Europeans...

Thanks all, and hi Glenn. I have a good supply of this Cuban, but I would have to cut up guitar-sized wood, so my next concert ukes will be Koa.

A friend mine from my city that lives in NY bought the last David Newton Diaz soprano Honduran mahogany for me 50 days ago, and come back to Brazil last week, so I received it yesterday .... it aggregates the best that I have in my other sopranos: perfect lightweight construction and finish details, a little bass and bark sound like a vintage Martin, spacious range between strings larger than a koaloha soprano and brightness of mahogany to contrast with the bass. I put Martin strings and it was the perfect sound and playability for strumming or fingerstyle. This would be more beautiful with this cuban hog. I would love a David concert model in mahogany:drool:

Here's http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83015-New-David-Newton-Soprano-Ukulele

I'm curious David...why the ebony bridge instead of bone? I noticed on the concert you recently sold that you included both an ebony and bone bridge...just wondering what your thought process is here while I try and control myself from buying this little beauty!

I like the tone that the wood saddle gives.
My ukes are very resonant. I think a bone makes the tone a bit harsh, a wood saddle cuts the "edges" off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom