Englemann or sitka spruce

no love for engleman? i'm not a luthier but i know guitar makers save the engleman for their better guitars and use it for bracing due to it's sound transmitting properties. i don't know what effects it has on a uke but it seems it would be a viable choice if it's available (i've heard it's in short supply).

sitka for me too. I like quick attacking notes and not a big fan ef englemann or cedar.

no love for engleman? i'm not a luthier but i know guitar makers save the engleman for their better guitars and use it for bracing due to it's sound transmitting properties. i don't know what effects it has on a uke but it seems it would be a viable choice if it's available (i've heard it's in short supply).

I know of no luthiers who use Englemann for bracing stock. In my experience, Englemann is softer and less stiff.

Not to nitpick, but it's spelled Engelmann.

Last edited:
How about Adirondack for a top?

Yes, I get confused about all the differences between spruces.:confused:

Sitka
Red
Adirondack
German
European
Moon
Silver
Lutz
Blue

and I won't even discuss pines (Huon, King Billy, ....)

I think you forgot

Alpine
Carpathian
Swiss

or are they already represented by European? I am confused!!

Sitka
Red
Adirondack
German
European
Moon
Silver
Lutz
Blue

As much as the types or species of top, the cut also makes a big difference too and what part of the tree or the tree itself.....

Last edited:

Sitka
Red
Adirondack
German
European
Moon
Silver
Lutz
Blue

Many of the marketing labels used by European sources actually refer to picea abies. So German, European, Carpathian and any number of others are the same species. Differences among growing conditions are said to yield different characteristics. My guess is that differences in skill and knowledge and integrity among harvesters and marketers accounts for much of the variation in the available product.

Many of the marketing labels used by European sources actually refer to picea abies. So German, European, Carpathian and any number of others are the same species. Differences among growing conditions are said to yield different characteristics. My guess is that differences in skill and knowledge and integrity among harvesters and marketers accounts for much of the variation in the available product.

I have to disagree with some of this information. I have used several, including German and Carpathian and they are completely different from each other. Yes, there are some who take advantage of unknowing builders, so you have to have good resources.

My favourite spruce is a hot shower, a shave and a bowtie. But each to their own.... :p

I have to disagree with some of this information. I have used several, including German and Carpathian and they are completely different from each other. Yes, there are some who take advantage of unknowing builders, so you have to have good resources.

I'm not sure what you disagree with or that we disagree at all.

Here is an interesting article: http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html

Top Bottom