Sonata Ukulele any good?

MeltingNinja

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm new to the site and the whole ukulele world.

I'm really interested in learning to play the uke, but there is only one available at my locoal music store. Its a Sonata make (soprano) , which is an old guitar brand. Does anyone know if this uke is any good? It's retailing at about $55.

I know nothing about that brand. Have you found any reviews online? I usually lean toward brands that are tried and true and have a lot of information and reviews. There are sellers who are on this site who come highly recommended. I do not have any good instruments available locally to me, so I have had to order online.

I've not heard of the brand either. But a red flag ought to be raised when your local music store only carries one unknown brand.

Is the uke old or new? The only references I can find to a brand called Sonata are a recent line of uber-cheap Chinese electric guitars, and a line of archtop guitars made in the mid-1950s by Harmony in Chicago. No specific references to ukes. If it is a midcentury Harmony build and it's in good condition, $55 might be a fair price.

BUT...since you are new to ukes, I'd lean toward what everyone else said about ordering a trusted brand from a reputable online seller. You didn't say where you are or what your budget is, but Mim's Ukes, Hawaii Music Supply, Mainland Ukes, and Uke Republic all come highly recommended by members of this forum (and the proprietors of those businesses are all members here too).

Top Bottom