Oasis Tenor Strings are out now...whooopeee

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Yes and I notice he added warm or bright strings to his selection too...
http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/ukulele-strings-684/oasis-ukulele-strings-2521/

Yes Dave has added to his sets different string configuration for warm or brighter strings....being the the guage of string will be thinner for the brighter tone and
warmer for the medium guage strings...yes the feel better than the Martin M600's and to me has a punchier louder balanced better tone...well personal perference play in here
the warm tenor set has sold out by strings by mail and is the only place I know you can get them....Yes I was one of those who tried them out first too.....love them, I should
have ordered my warm tenor sets before I posted this....sheesh

Last edited:
I'm a beginner and just starting to explore strings- what are the qualities of the Oasis strings? High tension? Low tension? Easy on fingers? I have lots to learn and am so enjoying the process!!!!
Thanks!

so the strings are good for all sizes, soprano, concert & tenor??
I always thought the string Diameter for soprano & concert should be different than the tenor

I'm a beginner and just starting to explore strings- what are the qualities of the Oasis strings? High tension? Low tension? Easy on fingers? I have lots to learn and am so enjoying the process!!!!
Thanks!

I was one of the volunteers who got to test drive these strings. I'm still on my starter uke (Lanikai LU-21C) and prior to trying Oasis strings, I had been using Aquila and D'Addario strings. The Aquila were all right but sounded a bit dull on my uke. I didn't care for the D'Addario, they sounded even worse. The Oasis strings transformed my uke. They made it sound so much brighter and better. I noticed that the gauge of the Oasis strings was less than those of the Aquila and the D'Addario so I found them easier to play and easier on my finger tips, they were more comfortable. (So I'm guessing low/moderate tension?)The Oasis strings come with enough string to make 2 sets. I still have the first set on my uke and they are going strong. I still have some Martins I haven't yet tried but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Oasis strings when the time comes to buy some new ones. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:
This sounds like something I'd like to try. I like lower tension strings and feel good as well as sound good.

I always thought the string Diameter for soprano & concert should be different than the tenor

There usually Are different diameters and tensions for the different scales.
I don't understand, either.

I was one of the volunteers who got to test drive these strings. I'm still on my starter uke (Lanikai LU-21C) and prior to trying Oasis strings, I had been using Aquila and D'Addario strings. The Aquila were all right but sounded a bit dull on my uke. I didn't care for the D'Addario, they sounded even worse. The Oasis strings transformed my uke. They made it sound so much brighter and better. I noticed that the gauge of the Oasis strings was less than those of the Aquila and the D'Addario so I found them easier to play and easier on my finger tips, they were more comfortable. (So I'm guessing low/moderate tension?)The Oasis strings come with enough string to make 2 sets. I still have the first set on my uke and they are going strong. I still have some Martins I haven't yet tried but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Oasis strings when the time comes to buy some new ones. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Could be the Aquilas you were using were the fake ones. There was a recent thread about it.

I was also lucky enough to try some of the Oasis, and I liked them a lot. Bright but not too thin. I will definitely be getting some of the production models once I need a new set.

- Rick G.

There usually Are different diameters and tensions for the different scales.
I don't understand, either.

Oasis has simplified all this and basically came up with a light and medium gauge set that work well across all sizes. I've used them on several concerts and a tenor in several configurations and the sets they have settled on are great.

In addition, often the only difference between soprano and tenor strings are the length of the strings. Offering one set for the three body types is too our advantage. If you are getting these for a soprano or concert you will easily get 3 sets out of them (2 out of tenor).

I think the difference is the G and A string diameters in the tenor sets...

Oasis has simplified all this and basically came up with a light and medium gauge set that work well across all sizes. I've used them on several concerts and a tenor in several configurations and the sets they have settled on are great.

In addition, often the only difference between soprano and tenor strings are the length of the strings. Offering one set for the three body types is too our advantage. If you are getting these for a soprano or concert you will easily get 3 sets out of them (2 out of tenor).

I'm sure they can be tuned to pitch, but, unless they found a loophole in the laws of physics :) , the same set of strings will be yielding
different tension from Soprano to Tenor. As long as the customer understands this.

Could be the Aquilas you were using were the fake ones. There was a recent thread about it.

I'm thinking that maybe my particular uke just needs lighter strings for a better sound. I didn't like the D'Addario Pro Arte J92 strings which sounded the worst of the strings I've tried. When I compared the gauge with those of the Aquila and the Oasis strings, the D'Addarios were the heaviest, the Oasis the lightest and the Aquilas in between. The Aquilas weren't all that bad but there was a significantly noticeable improvement of sound when I put the Oasis strings on. I still have some Martin M600s which I think most closely resemble the Oasis strings gauge so I'm pretty confident they should sound good on my uke as well. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

I'm sure they can be tuned to pitch, but, unless they found a loophole in the laws of physics :) , the same set of strings will be yielding
different tension from Soprano to Tenor. As long as the customer understands this.

Yes, using the same strings on different scale lengths will have varying tension. I'm just saying these particular gauges are very much in the middle ground and fall between most sets from other brands. If you look at the high G sets, only the "g" & "a" are changing slightly and are a little heavier then most soprano/concert sets. However, the "c" and "e" are slightly lighter then many other sets. If your looking at putting strings on an extremely fragile vintage uke, one might want as light as strings as possible, but these strings will be fine on most any uke.

Dave is very open to feedback and wants to fine tune these strings. He's been very generous getting samples into players hands and has really listened. He is putting out a high quality product. Right now I've got these on a National Triolian, Coverd Bridge Concert and Dave Newton Tenor and I highly recommend them.

Dave responded to this thread, acknowledging that some might want different gauges, but I think they are in the sweet spot right now.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?85103-New-Oasis-Uke-FC-strings-are-available

Last edited:
Just heard from Dave....the lo G tenor sets will be in tomorrow....woo hoooooo

Do you mean the Warm Low G sets on Strings By Mail that currently show as "Sold Out"? That's the set I want! Do any of you know if the older Oasis sets (which I just bought) are the same as the Warm or Bright sets for sale now?

Top Bottom