Fat fingers and nail length.

Diva86o4

Reaction score
I need help with my F cord. When I play the fat from my pointer finger touches the c string and the fat from my middle finget touches the a string.....I see pics and videos of people playing and their fingers are plumper than mine.....what am i doing wrong?

Also I've see some youtubers with long nails......don't they get in the way?

I need help with my F cord. When I play the fat from my pointer finger touches the c string and the fat from my middle finget touches the a string.....
Have you got your fingers backwards? Assuming you're right handed, your index finger would go on the E string, 1st fret, and your middle finger would go on the G string, 2nd fret.

Long nails can definitely be problematic. To place your fingers precisely on the strings, they need to be short so you're not bending the tip of your finger because of the nail.

Your middle finger should not be near the A string for an F chord. I agree with itsme, I think your fingers might be in the wrong place. And I like my nails very short on the fretting hand, but I've seen people play well with longer nails. I wonder how they do it so well.

I too am wondering if you have your fingers switched.

In general, to keep from interfering with other strings as you fret, try to arch your finger so that you are touching the string with the very tip/end of your finger, not the pad of the finger. This is easier if you keep your wrist dropped away from the neck of the ukulele instead of tucking it up under the neck.

I keep the nails on my fretting hand somewhat short, but a little length isn't a problem.

Once you sort out correct fingering of a chord......the best piece of advice is ......practice!

Your middle finger should not be near the A string for an F chord. I agree with itsme, I think your fingers might be in the wrong place. And I like my nails very short on the fretting hand, but I've seen people play well with longer nails. I wonder how they do it so well.
:agree: Like she said... you have to cut those left hand fingernails short and play with the ends of your fingers. Think of your fingers arching like a Tarantula's legs. Drop you wrist so it isn't bending in an uncomfortable position.

Good luck!
–Lori

May have trouble bending the tips of your fingers at that first joint enough. Requires a little practice. Try and get the "tips" of your fingers pressing the string and not the "pad."

Make sure your thumb is behind the neck, this helps your fingers to point straight down onto the fretboard. Don't give up, keep practicing and it will come.

Ukulele playing is the one time in life when chewing your nails is not gross. At least on the fretting hand.

Just don't spit them at anybody or you'll get a fat lip to match the fingers.

Last edited:
Did you get it figured out, Diva? At first it feels and looks like your fingers are never going to be able to do what they need to do, but with a little practice, they start learning where to go and how to bend. It will happen.

I haven't heard anyone say this, but you have to keep your fingers arched. Make a fist with your left hand. Look at it and open your fingers half way. See how they are arched? You may have to slightly bend your wrist also. While doing this, try and keep your hand semi-relaxed. Your hand should look somewhat like a claw viewing it from the underside. I'm not a uke teacher, but this is how I had to approach making chords to keep my fingers from touching the other strings. If this doesn't work for you within a half hour, don't spend anymore time on my suggestion. There's lots of youtubes out there showing beginning stuff. You will see in the youtubes that some folks have thin and flexible fingers. I don't. Watching Iz play "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" (on youtube) might just give you some inspiration, too.

Top Bottom