Strumming patterns

mippy

Reaction score
Got a uke for christmas, im geting there with my chords and chord changes, but struggling how to work out strumming patterns when reading tabs or music. Any suggestions on how to find these out or how to read them?

cheers

The following is my opinion--take it for what it's worth...

Generally, there's no such thing as "the one, true strum pattern" for a song. That is, it's not like there's a certain strum pattern that is written in stone and must be played. That's why it's hardly ever notated on a chart or tab.

To me, a "song" is chords, melody, and (sometimes) lyrics. Everything else falls under the umbrella of "arrangement" and is therefore free game. :D

Moral of the story: If you're striving for authenticity, just listen to the song and get as close as your current ability allows with the strumming. Otherwise, simply pick a strum that sounds good to you, don't worry about it, and have fun!

JJ

Last edited:
I do agree with JJ and his assessment of strumming. Far too many folks try to emulate a strum when they hear a song being played. Find your own and make the song your own. That's the fun part of it. Go simple first to get comfortable and then add/change or whatever. That said, here's some examples of strum patterns you can practice . . .
I've seen alot of people asking for strum pattrens...

Here is something I put together from my lessons so far. I don't think I listed any twice.

t=triplet
r=rest
c=carry (like the notes have the little curve above them)

add chunk's, pinkie mutes,turn the rests into mutes, rolls and that slow thumb stroke Aldrine does from Waiting In Vain as you see fit!!!

D DUc UDU

DU DDU DU DDU

D UD UD UD U

r U r U r U r U

r DU r DU r DU r DU

D DU r DUD DU r DU

D D DU

U D D D

D DU DU

DU r U DU

U DUDt U D

U DU DD

U DD U DD

D U DUDU D U D U

DDUD DUDD DDUD DUDD

r D r D r D r D

r DU r DU r DU r DU

r DU r D r DU r D

r DU r DU r

r U DU r U DU

D D D UDU

D D UDU

D D DUDU

now if only I could use them!!!!

You are all being a bit hard on Mippy. Strumming patterns are extremely useful to a beginner.

It's true that the best players create thier strum as they play any given tune. What gave them the ability to do that is many hours spent learning lots of strumming patterns. They spent enough time doing lots of different patterns that muscle memory took over and thier strumming hand could respond instantly to the feeling that any given song gave them.

That is the goal of every uke player. It's one I'm working on, but I'm not there yet.

Those who want to harp on the use of the search feature can ignore what I just said and go at Mippy though.

Woah bro... who harped? I think you took it all wrong. I don't see anything negative towards Mippy.. or even a mention of the search function. I thought Kanaka's post was especially helpful towards beginners. Chiiiilll. :)

My advice, Mippy: Just keep playing. Strum patterns become a natural thing with time. Just keep watching videos, keep listening to songs, and strumming just starts to ahppen. Just keep playing!

Top Bottom