Ur first ukulele u buy in ur life~

Mistyface

Reaction score
Aloha! Everyone!
What is ur first ukulele which u get in ur life?
And y do u get this ukulele ? Not the others?

I started with a 30 dollar mahalo soprano since I didn't know I'd have so much fun with the instrument.

Mine was a KoAloha standard bought on the big island on our first Hawaiian cruise in '05.

My first uke was a Kala KA-S that was given to me as a birthday present in 2010. If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd buy one of the blemished Pono sopranos from HMS.

I found a KKeiki in a pawn shop many years ago with a cool vintage case for $30. The back was loose so I used a little Elmers glue and some masking tape for clamps and never had any issues with it for over 20 years. I ended up selling it[stupid me]I was stricly a guitar player at the time and bought it because it was cute [ and cheap]

I bought an Ibanez at Guitar Center because I liked the color. It's yellow, like my belly.

Last edited:
Mine was a Kala KA-C which I still own. Does plywood open up?

1st was my Big Island Honu soprano on a Big Island trip just over a year ago...
My stable continues to grow, but it still remains one of my favorites. Gorgeous curly Koa and it sounds spectacular!

Mine was a Kala KA-S - it was an impulse purchase on Amazon. I wasn't even thinking about ukuleles at all, but Amazon "suggested" it to me, and I thought, "Oh, okay, that's cute and it doesn't cost very much." --- That is, it didn't cost much compared to the flutes I'd been buying, LOL. ...and little did I know where it would lead...

Mine was a Kala KA-S - it was an impulse purchase on Amazon. I wasn't even thinking about ukuleles at all, but Amazon "suggested" it to me, and I thought, "Oh, okay, that's cute and it doesn't cost very much." --- That is, it didn't cost much compared to the flutes I'd been buying, LOL. ...and little did I know where it would lead...

Hi K

and you have a Kamaka HF3 Special on order right now too right?
you are Kamaka family too now...haha

Kamaka HF-3 purchased at Larry's Music in Kapaa.

But it is really expensive for a beignner...I think most people are using Kala for a beignner choice now in hong kong

It motivates you to play more cuz you paid a lot for it !! Just Kidding I wanted to get a uke that had great tone so I can enjoy and be more encouraged when you learn your first song! I have no regrets on starting with it just like you won't have regrets starting on the Kamaka

I got my husband, a former bass player and previous guitar dabbler a Lanakai Lu-21B, over ten years ago. I got a baritone because I thought he would adapt best to it, being familiar w/ guitar chords. I got the Lanakai because that was the only brand the local music store carried. We were both busy working and with 6 kids, he just didn't find the time to get into it. Ten years later, I retired and saw the uke in the back of the closet and thought, what the heck, I'm gonna give it a go.. and as they say, the rest is history. I have been playing non-stop since and still have this bari. I've gotten "better" ukes since then, but still love my old bari (my son says he has dibs on it when I treat myself to another bari (thinking vint. Martin, or maybe another by a local luthier, either another LoPrinzi or perhaps a sideways 8).

My first uke is a cheap Kohala that my husband bought for me. With it, I realized that I wanted a better sound and that a tenor would be more comfortable to play, and I recently bought a Kala cedar top tenor. And now when I play the tenor, my daughter plays the Kohala! If she sticks with it for a few months, we'll buy her a nicer uke, use the Kohala to teach her best friend, and keep spreading the uke love.

I was having a conversation with my brother a while back about how I had gone on a date with a friend of his a couple decades ago to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, and he implied I had been somewhat demeaning about them. (Funny, cause I really like them now.) SO I knew of ukes, and even had some pass through my hands, for a while.

But the first uke that really took was my 6 string Lanikai, purchase with passion at the Aloha Stadium swap meet a few years back. Somehow, that one just seemed like magic. And the journey continues.

Mine was a Kala KA-C which I still own. Does plywood open up?
It does, but it requires hand tools.

I also (like Bao) started with a Mahalo soprano ($25). I had no idea I'd ever buy another uke, or that I'd move to concert and then tenor (which is a pretty good argument for starting with less-expensive instruments - unless you don't mind selling them - until you settle in on what you'll like).

001.jpg

mine was a little blue Mahalo soprano. Best $25 I ever spent. That was 7 years ago and I still play it regularly.

Top Bottom