DENIS KATO- CUSTOM MAKO, Tenor, Ukulele, Master Grade Koa, Excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmyers

Reaction score
Sale Pending - Price Drop Mako Ukuleles are handcrafted on the island of Maui by luthier Dennis Kato. Dennis is one of Hawaii’s many ukulele builders and is making only 8-10 ukuleles per year. This beautiful lovingly pre-owned Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele was handcrafted on the island of Maui. This one is absolutely stunning in appearance and plays even better than it looks.
The following description is from the original advertisement, construction was finished in Feb 2012 and sold in April 2012. serial
# 058
This gorgeous Custom Mako ‘Shark’ Tenor Ukulele is handcrafted of quarter-sawn curly Hawaiian Koa wood face, back, and sides. The piece also boasts a Macassar Ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with Brazilian Ebony fingerboard binding. Solid Maui-grown mahogany neck and graphite rod insert for added stability and sustain. The top and back binding is crafted with Maui-grown “Robusta” Eucalyptus wood. The fretboard is bound also radiused for smooth play up and down the neck and ease on the wrist angle for playing high up on the neck. Gorgeous paua shell position markers with ‘shark eye’ marker on position 17, soundboard ‘paua’ abalone shell purfling, and special headstock inlay for elegant appeal. Abalone ‘paua’ shell inlay on fretboard and headstock. Abalone ‘paua’ shell and mother-of-pearl hues for triple-bound rosette. Stunning Mako shark ‘tail’ headstock shape with professional Grover open back with ebony button tuners for precise tuning. Maui deer antler nut and saddle and a high-gloss finish with a sound that rings true ‘Hawaii’. The lower bout of the soundboard has also been domed to a radius of approximately 25′. Fingerboard has a radius of 20″. Spanish heel construction. Special mako shark inlays on upper bout.

This beauty really sings, has excellent volume, and sustains well. Crisp and balanced tones all the way up the neck. Now is your chance to own a phenomenal player instrument from one of Hawaii’s premier small builders.
This uke is in excellent used condition, yes it has been played and I don't know anything you touch that will not show something under the closest scrutiny. But I guarantee that you will find this uke almost new and playing better than new as the wood has had a chance to open up.
His new tenors are selling for $4000 new without pickup. Bonus a LR Biggs Five.0 pickup has been professionally installed.
I am willing to part with it for $2100 delivered in hard case to CONUS.
I am selling to finance a new uke project with LFdM.
Currently strong with Southcoast soft medium reentrant strings.
Thanks for your interest.
Bob Myers
Mako1.jpgMako3.jpgMako5.jpgFace.jpgBack.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, that is a stunning instrument.

This one is really nice~

Mako Ukuleles are handcrafted on the island of Maui by luthier Dennis Kato. Dennis is one of Hawaii’s many ukulele builders and is making only 8-10 ukuleles per year. This beautiful lovingly pre-owned Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele was handcrafted on the island of Maui. This one is absolutely stunning in appearance and plays even better than it looks.
The following description is from the original advertisement, construction was finished in Feb 2012 and sold in April 2012. serial
# 058
This gorgeous Custom Mako ‘Shark’ Tenor Ukulele is handcrafted of quarter-sawn curly Hawaiian Koa wood face, back, and sides. The piece also boasts a Macassar Ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with Brazilian Ebony fingerboard binding. Solid Maui-grown mahogany neck and graphite rod insert for added stability and sustain. The top and back binding is crafted with Maui-grown “Robusta” Eucalyptus wood. The fretboard is bound also radiused for smooth play up and down the neck and ease on the wrist angle for playing high up on the neck. Gorgeous paua shell position markers with ‘shark eye’ marker on position 17, soundboard ‘paua’ abalone shell purfling, and special headstock inlay for elegant appeal. Abalone ‘paua’ shell inlay on fretboard and headstock. Abalone ‘paua’ shell and mother-of-pearl hues for triple-bound rosette. Stunning Mako shark ‘tail’ headstock shape with professional Grover open back with ebony button tuners for precise tuning. Maui deer antler nut and saddle and a high-gloss finish with a sound that rings true ‘Hawaii’. The lower bout of the soundboard has also been domed to a radius of approximately 25′. Fingerboard has a radius of 20″. Spanish heel construction. Special mako shark inlays on upper bout.

This beauty really sings, has excellent volume, and sustains well. Crisp and balanced tones all the way up the neck. Now is your chance to own a phenomenal player instrument from one of Hawaii’s premier small builders.
This uke is in excellent used condition, yes it has been played and I don't know anything you touch that will not show something under the closest scrutiny. But I guarantee that you will find this uke almost new and playing better than new as the wood has had a chance to open up.
His new tenors are selling for $4000 new without pickup. Bonus a LR Biggs Five.0 pickup has been professionally installed.
I am willing to part with it for $2300 delivered in hard case to CONUS.
I am selling to finance a new uke project with LFdM.
Currently strong with Southcoast soft medium reentrant strings.
Thanks for your interest.
Bob Myers
View attachment 57936View attachment 57937View attachment 57938View attachment 57939View attachment 57940

Yes it is, I am not able to reveal the final price as per agreements. Be sure though you would be getting a great price if you purchased it. This price is way below builders price (at least 40% off ).
More importantly this is a one of a kind that is in outstanding condition, with no issues and plays like nothing you have heard.
It is also the best quality master grade Koa I have ever seen.
This is a killer deal form anyone looking for a Premium Koa Tenor. I guarantee it.
Regards, Bob

This is a one weekend sale and then it goes to the Flea and others. Price drop to $2100 delivered to conus in hard case. Paypal fees excluded, pay them or not your choice, ask me.
This is basically half price considering the initial cost plus LR Biggs pickup.
People you will never see a better made, more beautiful or better cared for one year old ukulele.
The sound , intonation and sustain are in a world of its own. I will add a low G string for those that prefer low G over re-entrant tuning.
This is as good as it gets unless you want to wait a year or more for a MB at a much higher price.
Bob

Could you post the weight of this beautiful uke. How is the balance? Is the neck top heavy?

what does LFdM stand for? Is it another high quality builder that is new to me like this maker.

Thanks for the reply.

Total weight is 1.6 pounds. The uke is not top heavy and actually is tail heavier but nicely balanced.
LFdM is the abbreviation for Luis Feu de Mesquita a well know luthier. Check him out on Google
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom